Wednesday, February 5, 2020

When 100 = 0, new math?


 Yesterday I decided to do a little shopping, the local grocery store (local is 35 minutes away) had closed a few days ago, only to reopen across the street in a larger, more modern facility. The place looks great and the selection is as good as anything in the city. The prices however were not that great, the sales there have a catch. A loaf of bread can be $2.50 to $3:00.. but only if you buy two or three loaves. I'm single, I can't eat that much bread! I know that I can freeze it or put it in the fridge but the taste gets lost. A single loaf of bread is $3:90, no thanks I have an alternative, same with things like celery, two for $5, I can barely use up one bunch of celery, what am I supposed to do with two or three bunches? There are only so many different soups and sauces a person can make.

 The cost of things today is crazy, a hundred dollars at one time was a huge amount of money to have in your pocket, now it's almost similar to having $25 back in the eighties. I know it's natural for prices to rise but it sure seems unnatural for salaries to rise. Yesterday I went there with two $50 bills in my wallet, I wanted to break them so I decided to use cash instead of a debit card. I did buy some items at the grocery store, they had fresh fruit and vegetables so I picked up some. The bill, $20.. well not so bad. With the new grocery store, also came a new gas station, very convenient as there was no station for 30 minutes either way, plus the price is almost the same as in the city. I was below half a tank so I filled my car up.. another $20, again not that bad. I stopped at a discount store, they have groceries and other things. I bought bread and some other items at a much better price than the grocery store, my phone rang, "hello?"
"Meow meow meow, me,ewe me,ewe meow!"
 "Okay Kitty I'll check, I know you're low on Whiskas, and yes I'll try to get the beef or chicken.. and I absolutely promise not to buy seafood flavored or meow mix or no-name brand cat food". [Click] I really need to get the phone away from her! Anyway I also bought a pair of long underwear, one of my favorite pair died around the waist band and became leg warmers every time I wore them. They're probably twenty years old so they paid for themselves. I paid for my items.. $38.

 It would be late by the time I got home so I decided to pick something up to eat, another $12 for a total of $90 spent in a few minutes. When I got home I took everything out of my environmentally friendly grocery bags and placed them on the counter. It's surprising how little you get for $90 these days. Spending $60 at the grocery store used to give you quite a few bags of groceries, now it's a couple of cans of soup, some fruit, veggies maybe a box or two of cereal and a package of chicken breasts.

I broke my 50s alright, I think I broke the bank lol, I have $10 left, I drove away wondering what happened to my money! I have to do better at watching my money. I still have a large freezer full of food, I could get away without buying actual food for a long time. I have been getting into my spaghetti sauce, homemade soups and stews lately. There are a lot of emergency goodies in there as well, such as frozen pizza, I just add a few extras to make them better and voila, a delicious pizza. Now however my difficult task will be convincing someone that seafood flavor kibble on sale, is just as good as beef flavored.

18 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

the same here. our local grocery (5 minutes away) has that kind of pricing also. it's asinine!

we need to see that old long underwear sliding down your legs...

and we buy our cats the kinds of food they like, sale or not. we have pampered pussie girls!

Old Lurker said...

Whatever happened to cellphone reception is bad in the country, so I cannot call the cat when I have been out late partying? Sounds as if the grocery calls work just fine.

I am struggling with grocery prices too. I take out a fixed amount from the bank each month, and when it is gone it is gone (or I cheat and have to write cheques).

Jimmy said...

If toilet paper rolls get even smaller, I'll need a smaller ass! I've experienced that the bagging person only puts two or three little items in a bag, making it seem like my purchases got a lot of mileage. More like a lot more garbage.

RJ said...

Sounds like shopping at Whole Foods ($$$) aka Whole Paycheck. I dropped $120 on dinner for two last Thursday. Eating at home is muck cheaper for me.

Deedles said...

I don't carry cash anymore. Balder Half will sneak fifty to one hundred dollars into my wallet, and then wonder what happened to it. I keep telling him that if I have cash I will spend it, damn it! Emergency money my sweet patootie! Stevie, when you store bread in the fridge it goes bad sooner. Fun fact. I've got a bag of pre-yellow broccoli that needs cooking. I don't wanna!

Bob said...

Just a note, if celery is 2 for $5 then you can buy one and the store should charge you $2.50.
That's what my grocer does.
And freeze the damn bread and let it thaw at room temp; it'll be fine.
Do I have to come up there and show you how it's done??? =)

Dave R said...

They do that here as well, sometimes I buy 2 and sometimes not. I try and bake my own bread on a day off, cheaper and better. A down here celery costs $2.99 American Dollars.

Michael said...

I know what you mean. On my way home from school I stopped and bought dog food, some gas, and a few items at Costco. I spent over $100, and I was thinking the same as you....in the old days it wouldn't have been that much!!

HuntleyBiGuy said...

I go the bulk of my shopping every two weeks. Usually a huge regional grocery store that has a good selection of items gets the bulk of my dollars. Then to Costco for some of the paper goods, cereal and other items. Finally to Aldi a reduced price grocer that has a limited selection but pretty good produce. But yeah, it gets expensive. But you gotta eat, right?

So does Kitty have a cell phone or is she using the land line?

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, no undies pics!!! Yes I learned long ago that I better buy cats what they want or they won't eat it. Actually they are not fussy eaters, cats can sense the protein level in food. The higher the meat content, the more they like it. One brand Kitty hates, is made of corn, wheat and rice with a little meat, unlike dogs, cats are total carnivores.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lurker, you really do have an astonishing memory.

I had to give Kitty a good phone, otherwise she drives me crazy with her, "can you hear me,ow? Can you hear me,ow?

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Jimmy, you are supposed to be using your own bags now! I know what you mean though, plus yes ugh... the packages are getting smaller and smaller. The one I laugh about was the last toaster I bought. To save money on cost of manufacturing it, the cord is so short I can only plug it into the stove top outlet.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Richard, I like to treat myself to a nice meal. Even a good deal ends up costing $20 to $30, if you happen to buy a drink or two $40 to $50 and that's not a really nice place.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles good news!!! If your broccoli is yellow, it's no good for you anymore so toss it! If by pre-yellow.. you mean it's still nice and green, then remember broccoli is your friend. Simple, wash, drop in boiling water, time 4 minutes, strain, add butter, little salt, little pepper... mmmmm yummy!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bob, no that's the catch, celery for 3:79 or two for 5:00, same with the bread. They never do that with chocolate! Frozen bread is not the same, plus sometimes I forget and then it's freezer burnt. You can come here but I'm probably going to get along with Carlos more and then we're going to gang up on you!!!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dave, the price of things here is high now because of it being February. I just bought a tub of baby spinach leaves on sale 5:99.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Michael, "in the old days" maybe we are becoming grumpy old men!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

HuntleyBiGuy, yes that's the problem, we have to eat! Sometimes I go to a large Wal-Mart, I know people don't like that store but if I want to buy a lot, sometimes I save $60 buy going there, that adds up over a year.

Kitty works security here so she definitely needs her own cell. Also see my explanation to Lurker.