Saturday, February 29, 2020

Somewhere there's a window.


 I was feeling positive Monday morning after the fun I had last Sunday afternoon. I was still looking for guidance and so decided I needed to consult with the Mother Superior of our local convent. I confessed to her about being gay, she giggled and said, "oh sweetie, little country boys sing their daddy's country songs, not ABBA tunes, I already figured that out years ago". She reminded me that as a lady living in a building filled with man-hating women, she knew a thing or two about homosexuality. She then lifted her head and gazed out the window longingly towards the mountains. I told her about feeling lost and alone, she said to me, "when the lord closes a curling rink, somewhere he opens a bowling alley". I understood what she was telling me, my adventures must take me there. I thanked her and quickly left as she picked up her guitar and started singing "Climb Every Mountain", I then heard her mumble to herself  "aw screw that" and suddenly switched to "Stairway to Heaven", oh sister Margaret Mary Margaret, you always were a card!

 Yes I realized that evening would become a get together for "the gays". It was a perfect day, almost spring like, I decided to go. I'm really doing well with going to places where I don't know anyone. Honestly I think once you have gone to a nude Halloween party where you don't know anyone and stand there with your credentials out, you can pretty much go anywhere after that little adventure, it was a beneficial learning experience.

 I arrived a little early and my gaydar went off regarding two men sitting there waiting. I introduced myself and then explained that I have never gone bowling in my life, they reassured me it's all about fun and not to worry. By six o'clock there was a good group of men gathered. They were giving me pointers on how to play better. I found if I could stay relaxed, I could do well. Curling actually gave me some helpful knowledge. I did unfortunately get a lot of gutter balls, I have a tendency to put a spin on my balls and... wait can't you guys just hear Maddie giggling! Anyway I put a spin on the balls and they kept heading towards the gutter.

 I really enjoyed it, also the guys were a really friendly bunch, I'm so glad to have met them. They invited me to go with them after, I thought it was a bar but to my surprise it was to a coffee/pastries shop. That actually worked out well because I could talk with them. I find bars play music so loud that I can't hear what the people are saying and then I don't enjoy myself. These guys seemed down to earth and very ordinary, yay... my kind of people lol. Again I surprised myself with how I took part in the conversation, actually leading it at times. This is something I never saw myself doing years ago.

 A friend asked me how I could do that, just show up somewhere and not know a single person. The truth is at a social function like that, people are there to meet other people and like me they are just too shy to say hello. I've never had a negative reaction yet. My only regret is I should have done this years ago. It was getting late and everyone started saying goodbye. A bunch of us walked back to our cars and the night ended, I had a lot of fun.

 I'm not sure, I may take a break from blogging for a little while, we will see. If I'm suddenly not around, don't panic I'm okay just up to something. I have at least one more coming.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Gay bowling! Good for you! I'm not even going to make any jokes about balls. Have you ever seen that cult classic movie, "The Big Lebowski"? It's like a love letter to bowling. Watch for "The Jesus Rolls" which is opening in theatres right now -- it features one of the bowlers from Lebowski in his own stand-alone movie.

Jimmy said...

I'm old school. Have sex first, then get to know them if you like. It saves blisters on thumbs from bowling balls.

anne marie in philly said...

heh heh heh, you said "balls".

Deedles said...

You sound happier, Stevie. That's nice.
@Bob- just pair the ugly shoes with some mixed plaid and werk it!

RJ said...

Bowling can be a lot fun even if you're a beginner. I'm glad you had a great time and met new people. Keep it up.

Dave R said...

Bowling is great. Glad you had a good time. I had a friend who always yelled loudly, "will you look at the size of them balls!" Life is a hoot!

Ur-spo said...

It always alarms me when you ponder taking a blog-break but I wait like Penelope and am glad to read you are merry.

HuntleyBiGuy said...

Good for you Steven. It’s hard to overcome being an introvert. The only “cure” is putting yourself out there. I find that if I’m rejected/ignored it’s their loss. Enjoy playing with the balls! Bowling can be fun. And tell them you want the gutter bumpers.