Sunday, February 23, 2020

Winter, releasing her grip?


 The last few days have been gorgeous here, sunny and +5 to +7 Celsius or around 42 Fahrenheit. This has been a good winter on average. It's nice to see the snow melting and hearing a few extra birds around. Today is a sure sign that spring is on its way, because better than groundhog day, today was Curling Potluck day! It's the final game of the winter, plus a season end celebration afterwards. When the curling season ends, spring is around the corner lol.

 I can't believe it's over for another year already. Even more unbelievable to me is that this is the end of my second year, time really does fly by. It's a really fun way to pass the winter months and not get cabin fever. Today we mixed up the players and the new team I was on got the highest points, so we were each given $20.

 Afterwards we had a trivia contest using our regular teams, we came in second. The question none of us knew was, "what do they call a stove in England"? The Canadian, American, Australian readers can try and guess the answer. Then finally they said "let's eat"! The food was so good, all types of salads, quiche, meat pie, meatballs, homemade beans, homemade sausage and on and on. Too many dishes to sample, I went back to try a few more but a man needs room for desserts. Those were also amazing and all homemade of course. To drink with it I had wine from a box... lol that sounds so funny to me but it actually wasn't that bad. I'm not really a wine drinker so maybe Dr Spo or William just fainted after reading the "wine in a box" sentence. ;D

 Everything was over by six and we all said our goodbyes for another year. I left my broom behind with the club brooms, that made me a little sad lol, we have been through so much together. I'm not sure where I will be next year so in case I'm no longer playing, someone will be able to get some use out of it. I gathered up my stuff and walked out the area door, it was six o'clock.. and it was still daylight, can't help feeling like... whew we're almost there!

20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wine in a box has come a long way since it was first introduced to the market decades ago. Sounds like a sumptuous potluck! I have no idea what the Brits call a stove, so I'll guess . . . something dumb like "cooker?"

anne marie in philly said...

"a stove". and there is NOTHING wrong with wine in a box; I read somewhere it's actually a better place for wine to age. keeps the light out.

RJ said...

Wine in the box is common at many of the gallery openings here.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

BINGO Debra... a cooker is the answer!!! The potluck was delicious!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, I didn't think a box would be good for wine since they always fuss so much over the bottles. It seems comical to me, like drinking boxes for adults!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Ricky, like I said, drinking boxes for adults... hahaha! I'm surprised.. even at a gallery? I thought the people would be horrified by that.

Bob said...

Curling?Not hair, I';m guessing, with brooms involved? I kid.

I'm a snob. Wine in a box?My father drinks it and it's good, but give me a great Oregon Pinot in a bottle, stored correctly and I'm yours.

Deedles said...

I remember when Franzia box wine came out. My mother kept some on hand at all times. I find wine to be just a matter of personal taste, and some people can get downright uppity about their own likes and dislikes. It's like art. Tastes are different. Live and let live. Now where's that bottle of Boone's Farm? Actually, we have a few friends that work at a winery here. One brought Balder Half a case of rose. In cans! It was an experiment that failed or something, because, cans. He took it off of her hands, I tasted it. I saw no difference in flavor and felt it would make a good mixer with Sprite. We took it to my son's house because BH doesn't drink wine, and I can't have a lot of alcohol with my meds. I sure do miss wine coolers.
Our temperatures are going to be in the low to high 70s this week.

Ur-spo said...

While I don't miss the winter (today high is 21C) I miss the toxic delirium that comes with the sensation spring is sprung.

HuntleyBiGuy said...

We hit 50°F yesterday. Between tonight and Wednesday we’re expecting anywhere from 3-8” of heavy wet snow. Mother Nature is fucking with us big time.

I love me a good pot luck. You get a nice variety and no one is burdened with putting on a big spread. I’m glad you had a good curling season. A great way to spend the dreary winter.

Mistress Maddie said...

It was almost 60 here today, so I streaked through the park naked. Looks like spring sprung.

Dave R said...

I'm a bottle boy, maybe if Louis Jadot starts boxing wine I might give it a shot... or maybe not. We got up into the mid 60's (F) here, but cool rain is on the way. My bulbs are sprouting all over the place.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bob, so you're telling me to tempt you with booze!?!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles.. weedles ..bo beedles... wine in a can just sounds so so wrong!
We are going to have one more beautiful day and then kapluie!!! Snowmageddon is approaching us, there's no where to run, there's no where to hide, think of the children!
Excuse me miss, are you sure this coffee is decaf?

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dr Spo, spring is actually not that great, later on yes but for the most part it's muddy. I think it's because we are just so happy to have made it through winter.
I'm so disappointed, I gave you honorable mention on here, I wonder what you think of wine in a box lol. Next they will be serving champagne in a box, or maybe in plastic bags like we have here for milk!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

HuntleyBiGuy, oh so it's you who is sending up the snow on Wednesday!!! Hahaha!
Yes I love the variety of a potluck. I used to work with a large group of people from all over the world, those potluck dinners were amazing, just amazing with all the different dishes.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, well remember internet rules... if there's no pictures.. it never happened!!!
; )

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dave, lol for a second there I read that as "I'm a bottom boy" hahaha! I was wondering why you were telling me that and I was really surprised because I see you as more of a top!
It's been warm here but everything is still covered in snow because it was quite deep. Unfortunately it looks like tomorrow will replace everything we got rid of.

Deedles said...

Stevie, cans keep the wine as cold as glass does. Plastic sucks in this capacity.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I just had this vision of the Queen and her family cracking open a cold one!

"Oh bloody hell, I just broke a $500 nail on this dreadful can"!