Thursday, May 30, 2019

Moving day... again... thankfully!


 Yesterday turned out to be a good day, I received a call from a nursing home that I was trying to get my mom placed into, they said that they had a room for her and want to know if I was still interested in placing her there. I said that I would love to accept it for mom. They asked if we could move her today and I agreed. Mom is there now, it went fine for her because she is not completely aware that she has been moved to another building, so to her there was no move.

 Immediately I could see the difference in how the staff interacts positively with her, the nurses stations are situated out on the floor amongst the people and not hidden in a room like the other place. The social worker at the old place screwed up, she was supposed to tell me before hand to expect the call. She had no clue about moving arrangements etc, lack of communication as usual, they said they were going to miss us, the feeling is not mutual. The New place automatically had everything already handled for us. All I had to do was pack.

 The other thing that I think will be beneficial to mom is that all the elderly people are together, with all levels of capabilities, this way she will have conversations with people and that helps keep her mind active. At the old place mom was with people like her but most were much worse and either made no sense or noises. Also the people in the new place are elderly only, at mom's old place there were brain injured people and mentally challenged people, some of whom yelled and screamed or could hit, I was very uncomfortable with mom around them and she found it overwhelming at times.

 Anyway at least that dilemma is over, this time I felt good leaving her in their care, I felt that I did right by her and not like I betrayed or abandoned her as I did the last time. Unless something bizarre happens, this will be mom's final home, she will not be moving anywhere else. A coworker told me once not to torture myself with these thoughts... but a small part of me still wishes that I would get a phone call, saying that they know how to cure mom and after a few weeks of treatment, she can go home.

22 comments:

Jimmy said...

I very happy for you,and your mom. Also, your sister. Now find someone to share happiness.

Old Lurker said...

Oh that's excellent. I am so glad your mom is in a better home. (I worry about it bankrupting you, but that is another matter.)

JanF said...

This is wonderful and happy news. I wish all of us could go to such a home when we need it and cannot choose for ourselves. Thank you for doing this for your Mum.

anne marie in philly said...

good news! now it's time for you to focus on YOU and YOU alone!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Yay! Love the news!
So glad your mom is in a better home now. It should be such a relief to know that she’ll get better interactions and attention there.
It makes me wanna hug you when you’re this happy.

XoXo

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This is very good news! I'm happy for your Mom and for you. You will both sleep better at night now that she's in a nicer home.

Richard said...

What a relief for you!

Bob said...

How nice for your mom that she's in a better facility, and how nice for you that you did it, and can now rest easier!

Deedles said...

Very happy for the both of you, sunshine! Big squishy hugs!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Thank you Jimmy.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Old Lurker, thank you. It's ok buddy, we won't go bankrupt, you don't need to worry.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JanF, interesting comment, I think about this all the time. Maybe like trying to get kids into a good school while still babies, we need to pick our retirement home while we are still able.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, yes now it's some me time! I'm going all out wild, chocolate milk, cookies and a movie to watch in my LA-Z-Steve.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Sixpence, oh you can definitely hug me Mr super sexy! ;)
Yes relief is a very good word to describe how I am feeling.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Debra, yes I can sleep better now.. whew! :)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Richard, yes a great relief. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I didn't have worry at the back of my mind.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bob, yes thank you. I think me calling people up in a state of despair caught their attention, who knew getting in touch with my inner drama Queen would pay off.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles! Hello sweetie weetie pie, I missed you! :D
Yes I had a happy day yesterday!

I hope you had a great time camping!

Michael said...

This is indeed good news. I am happy for you and your family.

Michael said...

Oh wow...I bought a big bag of dog food the other day and slung it over my shoulder. What does that mean?

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Thank you Michael, it makes life a lot less stressful.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Michael, it means that you are hot as truck as I have always been saying about you... hahaha! Hope you blushed, and everyone knows I meant another word instead of truck :D