Sunday, August 19, 2018

Silent Dawn.


 Summer is short here, maybe that's what makes us appreciate it so much. "How short is it"? Well I'm glad you asked, for us we have two weeks left, that's it, doesn't matter what the calendar says, it's two weeks, there will be a big difference in two weeks. September can be mild and we can have some nice days, even nice weeks some years but it's not the same.

 The first clue nature gives is the silent dawn, it happened two weeks ago. I woke up early, dawn was breaking, the sun hadn't come up yet but it was bright out. Lying in bed, something was off, then I realized that you could almost hear a pin drop. I jumped up and went to the window, not a sound except crickets and other similar bugs softly chirping. In spring and early summer as dawn breaks the air is fill with the songs of many different types of birds. It's a beautiful chorus to wake up to and it gives you that feeling of wanting to enjoy the day. The birds do it however not out of happiness, the truth is they are claiming their territory and raising their young. Once they have finished raising chicks, they no longer need to sing in order to keep away rivals, resulting in late summer mornings that are quiet.

 I don't mind the fall, I enjoy it actually, all the colours, the cool nights, the fall scents, the lack of mosquitoes lol. Fall fairs, fresh apples and pumpkins, I like pumpkins with the bright orange colour. I just don't like what comes after fall. However I don't want to rush it, fall will come soon enough, the birds have spoken... or in this case, not spoken. Now time for me to go outside and enjoy.

11 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

Great description of the changing of the seasons! Granted, that will happen here in Texas in about October, but I'll come back and read it again then.

anne marie in philly said...

sometimes fall will last into december if we are lucky. let's see what happens this year.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm looking forward to autumn. It's been too bloody hot all summer.

Deedles said...

You sure do talk purty, son!

1st Man said...

Beautifully written. Sadly we have more to our long hot Summer, ugh. I can't wait for our Fall to arrive.

Old Lurker said...

Fall sucks. It means you have to go back to S C H O O L and then you have to deal with all the consumption holidays and it gets dark at 4pm and then comes W I N T E R.

"Tommy" said...

Come on Down... and I will give you all the Summer you want till late September.

Scott said...

I love summer, and I enjoy the fall. But winter in Chicago is not fun.

Mistress Maddie said...

We have a way to go before the summer end here. It is nice temps all through till usual October and even in November. The weekend in the Pocono was still even in the high 70's low 80's at night. That's extremely warm for late night high in the mountains.


At night here when I go to bed, I enjoy hearing the crickets and katydids in the trees.

Richard said...

It's starting to get cool at night here.

JohnMIchael said...

I love autumn. I can't wait for it. I fear the winter. Hate driving in it.