Sunday, January 27, 2019

Now where do I go?


 Often we hear the phrase, "life is a journey, not a destination". I always liked that statement because I feel we are always on a journey, it's the only way our little minds can cope with constant change and if I have learned anything... it's that life = change. Alternatively if you believe that life is a destination, there is only one destination that we all reach sooner or later and that is a depressing thought regarding life.

 On our journey through life, we have many side journeys. I had become obsessed with my sexuality and placed a lot of focus on that journey. I think we often have to forgive ourselves when we get to a place where we are finally comfortable with where we are. We can't beat ourselves up (which I do) for not arriving sooner, it's healthier to think, "how did I get here, what correct steps did I take". Looking back we will see that it usually wasn't an "ah ha" moment, it was probably many little moments that add up over time.

 One of my side journeys, like many of you, is spirituality, I was raised in a Catholic home, we went to church every Sunday and holy days, I attended Catholic school, almost every neighbour around me was also Catholic. I can't tell you the suffering I had, the hatred, bigotry, homophobic bullying... no actually I'm kidding, I know many expect me to say that but it's not true. We were also lucky to have many kind priests and nuns like the Julie Andrews character, not those ruler beating kind. My parents, (especially my Dad) were very religious but it was more about a personal relationship with God than being a self righteous butt wipe.

 I always found religion interesting, I wanted to learn about it but not just my religion, I loved hearing about other religions. Sometimes I felt inside that it was cute in an innocent child like way, how people in other religions just accepted their stories. It would make me smile when people started telling me that a crow or a turtle would do something like open a clam or an egg and two people jumped out and started humanity. There comes a time however; when all your own stories that don't add up... start to add up. Talking turtles, talking crows or talking snakes with apples stop making sense to practical people.

 Suddenly the path I was on ended but instead of a fork in the road, I found myself standing in an open field. What direction am I supposed to take from here? I often read about people saying that they choose to follow "this particular religion" or they choose to be an atheist. I didn't "choose" anything, if it makes any sense, as I go through life, I feel like something is choosing me. I'm a realist, I prefer to rely on evidence based results, I "believe" in facts. I do however; have an open mind because I like to learn. If an angel suddenly appeared in downtown Ottawa, during the day, when everyone is sober, to all people religious and non religious, with cameras around that didn't conveniently stop working and said, "hey guys we are the real deal", my belief system would not collapse.

 I know that science is studying things like dark matter and dark energy, some say that what we perceive around us may only be about ten to twenty percent of reality so there is a great unknown. One day maybe there will be a discovery that will shock us. Until then I find myself standing in this field feeling a little lost but also at the same time... a little free.

12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All religious stories are mythology and there's nothing wrong with that. Mythology is how humans make sense of the world. But when people start mistaking mythology for literal truth, trouble follows.

People are afraid of not having an "accepted set of religious beliefs" because it means they would have to take responsibility for their own spirituality and actually think about what they believe and do not believe. In my opinion, reaching that stage of open-mindedness is true "adult" spirituality. Keep standing in your open field!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Thank you Debra, this was a great comment, I can't add anything to it. What do you think about me changing my blog title to "Steve, he who seeks"? No? Lol

anne marie in philly said...

organized religion is a curse upon the world.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, the weird thing is once it gets organized, it does the opposite to what it teaches.

Michael said...

Steven,
What a beautiful post. I sometimes am standing in that field myself, looking up and wondering.

Richard said...

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 12 years. Most of the nuns were mean and hateful even though they dedicated their lives to god. I'm not a fan of organized religion. I try to be good person and treat others well. I don't need a religion to tell me what to believe or how to live my life.

Old Lurker said...

I often wish I could find religion. I doubt it will happen.

I still maintain that you are more of a good Catholic boy than you are willing to admit.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Michael, just remember that when you are looking up... try not to trip! Sorry my bad, thank you Michael, I appreciate your kind words.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Richard, sadly your story is the more common one. I also try to treat people well, there are many benefits to doing that.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Old Lurker, I feel the same way but at the same time it's like wishing I still believed in Santa Claus just to enjoy Christmas better.

You are correct in that assessment to a large degree, there are you happy now OL! XD

JP said...

I believe in human spirit. By that I mean the living and here and now and the tangible legacy that leaves behind. I feel an inner soul rather than a great big religious belief I have to follow. But I don’t judge those who feel that need.
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JP, I wish that I had figured this out years ago.