Thursday, February 1, 2018

Let "them" eat cake.

Often while listening to radio or tv, someone talking about businesses will snicker and laugh at the notion of large companies trying to take advantage of the average Joe. They will go on and on about the companies being part of the community and that it makes no sense for a company to offend it's customers. In theory yes that would make sense, I don't buy that. I'm not one for conspiracy theories and I'm not some radical on the extreme left who hates all businesses. I am however a guy who knows from life experience that large companies are geared towards making money. This is not a bad thing when it's being done properly; however large companies are run by people and not all people have integrity. Companies have no emotions but people do, like greed for instance.

Over the last few weeks, consumers in Canada have been alerted to the fact that the large grocery chains have been colluding to fix the price of bread. Of all things bread! This I find disgusting because the people most affected would be people with lower incomes. They were taking advantage of consumers who may have been counting every penny, struggling to keep their family properly fed from week to week. I had been wondering why over the last few years, a loaf of bread was close to four dollars, a huge jump from just a few years ago. Shame on those stores, pro-business politicians wonder why the average person has so much mistrust of corporations, here is the answer. If it wasn't so insulting to customers, it would almost be comical. Imagine secret meetings and phone calls regarding the price of bread, maybe even a secret bread cult with candlelit meetings and hooded participants in a cave somewhere, cue the theme music for the X-Files.

Greed is one emotion, there is another emotion called fear, that would be fear of the law because in Canada this is a BIG no, no. Companies are coming forward fast and furious because the first ones to rat out the others will get away with it. They are talking about huge fines and jail time, now we have their attention. Jail with a diet of bread and water like the old days would be ironically funny.

10 comments:

Old Lurker said...

And yet so much bread gets wasted. I used to work in proximity to a soup kitchen, and the amount of donated bread they threw away on a regular basis was astounding.

I am glad you figured out how to make paragraphs in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Greed is ugly and wears many masks. Large companies answer to shareholders who drive the company's way of doing business. The more a company makes, the richer shareholders become. It's easy for them to turn a blind eye to misbegotten business practices because they are not directly involved. At the end of the day, all they want is a cash infusion no matter who gets hurt in the process.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mr Lurker, yes I imagine an obscene amount of bread gets wasted, still it's a dirty trick to inflate the price.

Yes, sorry about the paragraph issue, it has been driving me nuts, suddenly I can make paragraphs but I still don't have full capabilities, finally I was able to return a profile photo but I still can't post pictures.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Walter, I wish you had been clear with your views towards large companies. Just kidding, I feel the same way. I understand the need to make money, they will just have to understand the well deserved suspicion we cast towards them.

John Going Gently said...

The supermarket waste is scandalous but I read this week that many local ones are donating much more to food banks

Mistress Maddie said...

$4.00 for bread!!!!!!! Holy cow!!!! One good thing my aunt taught me was how to make bread. On Sunday I generally make my own bread. The recipe usually yields for loaves. I make all kinds too. Rye, wheat, buttermilk, white, oatmeal, Believers.

I don't know how some people make it by these days... the prices of things are getting outrageous.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Also some stores have partnerships with pig farms, which is a great way to recycle food waste back into the food chain. It's not the waste however that is the problem here, price fixing is collusion to secretly take away consumers choice, it removes free market competition.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, sounds crazy right? A few years ago bread at its most expensive was $1.90 then suddenly $3.85, it got that I only bought bread on sale. Suddenly stores are having lots of sales. I am so impressed that you bake your own bread!

Ur-spo said...

Scandalous !

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dr Spo, I know, I say boycott sandwiches! Down with the evil bread empire! I'm going to make wraps instead.