Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Legal Action

I have posted pictures on here of my balcony and how I grow plants and keep it spotlessly clean. One of the ways I keep pigeons away is by simply placing small flags around the railing. I figure that if everyone pitched in a little, we can make our surroundings look nicer. That is one of the reasons I will pick up garbage in the hallway if some lazy ass drops it. I think this is my home, I don't want it to look dirty, I also understand that most people these days do not think this way. Even in their own building if they drop something, they always think "oh well they pay people to pick up after me".

Today I received a letter from the company that owns the building, they said it has come to their attention that I have flags on my balcony and screening on the railing (yes dork, for the last FIVE years I have). The letter also stated only summer furniture is allowed on the balcony, I guess no flowers or mini garden. They said to remove them at once and threatened to take legal action if I don't do it within the next few days. The flags were the small ones that you see at a parade, not huge ones, the dark screen was here when I moved in and covered the rails so the pigeons could not fly through the bars, the flags scared them from flying over the top railing onto the balcony, you can't see the screen from the ground and I can't see the harm in having plants and flowers.

This has just upset me greatly, I am a good tenant, I am clean, respectful and always pay my rent. They could have just asked me as I see the manager all the time. If the flags were bothering someone they could have just said "Steve we have to ask you to remove the flags" and I would have done it, not send me a threatening letter. I'm waiting to see if other people remove their flags etc as well. They gave me a list of ways to keep away the pigeons, I say f$%* you! If you want me to do these things then buy them for me and I'll put them up. I honestly give up however, looking at the other balconies with TV dishes and wires everywhere, covered in two inches of bird crap, bikes, old chairs or just years of pigeons building nests and crapping, I will do the same. If they want me to conform, I'll conform, I'll just close my balcony door and let it become a filth hole like most of the others.

I can't help wonder who complained, some crazy old pigeon person that thought it was cruel to scare them from my balcony, maybe one of those bitter people who just can't stand to see someone doing something nice and tries to interfere, or maybe one of those hypocritical Quebec separatists who bitch about Canada flags but work for the Canadian government and live in Ontario for the better health care. Perhaps the pigeons like everyone else, have gotten themselves a lawyer.

Dear building management, please forgive me for trying to keep my balcony clean, for trying to add a little beauty and make it inviting, I promise that you have taught me a good lesson and I will never attempt to do that again. I promise to never pick up paper in the halls either or put some dumb ass's garbage down the shoot who just left it at the door to smell. I promise not to try and clean all the salt and snow from my boots, I'll just walk in like most others do. Now don't you worry, the next time someone asks me "is this a good place to live" I will be sure to tell them how you are on top of the flag situation... but can fall behind quite a bit when it comes to repairs.

11 comments:

Greg said...

Oh, that really pisses me off. It's always the peaceful gardeners who're trying to make the world a better place who get poked with the short end of the stick.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong AT ALL, and unless your lease specifically forbids flags and gardening, then get yourself a lawyer and don't change a thing!

Sorry to hear you're dealing with such foolishness.

Doug said...

Yep, that is one of my major pet peeves as well. Condo-commandos who have nothing better to do with their lives, who whine and complain and attempt to enforce blatantly stupid rules.

Your last paragraph is exactly what you should send to the company. I don't know what kind of condo association you've got, but perhaps you can make your case to the ruling committee and either get some rules changed or ask for exceptions to be made. If so, get it in writing.

Java said...

I'm with Greg. Pisses me off, and obviously you too. I rather admire you for having a garden with nothing more than that tiny balcony. These people have no life.

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of dumbasses. You make the building look better and they threaten to sue. Go figure. My strata doesn't like it that I put my laundry rack out on my balcony to dry my clothes. However I just pull the "green" card on them and accuse them of forcing me to waste energy by using the clothes dryer.

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

Just collect the bird shit and send it to them in the post LMAO

Joe Jubinville said...

After reading this, steam is coming out of my ears.

I'd be inclined to ditch the flags and maybe the screening, and see if that settles the matter.

A Troll At Sea said...

Steve-o:

PT Barnum had a thing a two to say about no one ever having gone broke by underestimating the intelligence of the general public.

It might even apply north of the border...

T@C

JOHANNES said...

Hell of a day dude.

Got some of the same types in my life. Must be a cousin of this commando, twice removed, that lives down here in Greenville.

Forget the legal action. Too much trouble and expense and the judge might just be a biddy cousin, three times removed.

JON

r. said...

"No good deed goes unpunished!" Haven't you heard that before?? :-) jk! Don't meant to tease, but a coworker said that to me before and ever since, that stuck in my little head.

Sorry to hear about all of this. What can you do but to remove the flags, but I hope you don't have to remove the plants. Cuz I know that truly gives you joy.. and your grandma's clippings as I recall [either that or my mind is turning to mush! Wait, is that what you call them - 'clippings'?!?]!!

G'luck Steven!! xoxo

Patrick said...

How ridiculous! Is it possible everyone who has stuff on balconies got a similar note, or do you think you were singled out? If the latter, I don't know how they justify such nonsense.

Anonymous said...

It's one of the things that I don't like about HOA's. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that. But I will admit that I am one who helps put in some of that more "bearable" language when it comes to project approval. I hope this is something that quickly becomes water under the bridge.