Thursday, May 3, 2018

Steven's Perfect Broccoli.

Broccoli, I like it, raw or cooked either way it's one of my favorite veggies. Recently there have been a lot of claims regarding the health benefits to eating broccoli. Being a green vegetable it is something we should add in to our meals anyway. There were claims that broccoli helps ward off certain cancers and helps fight against others. I watched where they did some research to dispel the myth of fighting off certain types of cancer. What the results showed was that people who ate broccoli, actually had better results while fighting off cancer, so maybe not a myth, another reason to eat it! Also broccoli according to the program, has the highest concentrations of all the beneficial nutrients in the family of cruciferous vegetables, so if you like broccoli you don't have to eat brussel sprouts, cauliflower or cabbage etc. If you want more information, for Pete's sake google it, I'm not getting paid by the broccoli farmers of North America, lol. Broccoli raw is good but so is cooked broccoli. The trouble is most people really over cook broccoli, causing it to be rubbery and smell like someone farted.

Here is my easy steps to perfect cooked broccoli.

First put a pot of water on high to boil, you want to have a rolling boil. While you are waiting for your water to boil prepare the broccoli. Wash it, cut the stem off, you only want to eat the crown, that's where the goodness is. Cut the crown up a little, you don't want huge chunks. Do not put broccoli into the water until it is boiling. Once the water starts to boil, carefully put your broccoli in the pot, (don't burn yourself). Immediately set a timer for four and a half minutes 4.5 min. You don't want to get past five minutes max, it starts to go rubbery and farty after five minutes. 4.5 makes for a nice cooked broccoli but not too cooked. Once the cooking time is up drain off the water, serve on plates, add a little butter, salt and pepper and yum. I usually do this just before we eat, that way it doesn't get cold while waiting for the other food to be ready.

16 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Google Mary Berry!
You queen xxxxxx

Mistress Maddie said...

It's nice to see my future husband is also a Chef Tell!!!!

I too love broccoli and even more so Brussel Sprouts. I have made a whole meal of just those. I usually steam mine. Once almost steamed, I then place in oven with a bit of olive oil, salt pepper. Grill for a few minutes and then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese!!!!!!!

YUM...AND GOOD for BOTH OF THESE.

Deedles said...

Soooooooooooo.....whether I like broccoli or not, I don't HAVE to eat Brussels sprouts at all! Yuck! I can handle cauliflower (broccoli's anemic sister) but only raw. Love cabbage. Now broccoli used to be my favorite green veggie, raw or cooked. Like maddie, I steam mine but I just add a little butter and I'm good. Lately my medication has changed the taste of everything so I don't like it as much. I've only experienced the fartiness of it once it was inside my body. Full thrusters! I could get from one room to another without touching the ground! T.M.I.? Well, I'm not the one who brought up the subject mister!

Anonymous said...

I eat tons of broccoli. As a vegetarian, it is a staple in my diet. I cook it the same way you do.

Old Lurker said...

In your honor I ate some broccoli today. But I steamed it in the microwave, like a civilized person. Boiled vegetables? Are you British? What did those vegetables do to deserve that?

Also you are keeping secrets from us. "I usually do this just before we eat," you say. WE eat? Are you cooking for a gentleman friend you are not telling us about?

Anonymous said...

I'll eat broccoli any day but I hate Brussels sprouts.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

John, I just did, never heard of her before but I will have to check out the sweets.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, not really a chef but I hear so many complaints about cooking broccoli and the other night I was enjoying some. I want to try it your way, sounds delicious!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, lol anemic sister! Hahaha! I actually can't stand cauliflower. Yes steaming is delicious but anyone who doesn't boil them properly isn't ready to steam them! I said they smell like fart when cooked to much, not they make you fart but as a man even water makes us fart. Blame it on your dog.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Good for you Michael, broccoli is healthy; however I'm not getting stuck in an elevator with you!

I didn't know you were a vegetarian, I don't eat that much red meat anymore, can be months between meals. I still like chicken and salmon.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Old Lurker, microwave! Yuck! Should be renamed the flavour zapper! I boiled the broccoli because some of the vegetables had gone bad, so I needed to teach them a lesson! Yes Lurker we, as in we are not amused.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

RJ, you don't have to eat brussel sprouts ever again. Actually I like them, I think it's the way people cook them.

Mistress Maddie said...

@ dEEDLES- New name. Thruster, The Gut Buster.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, don't encourage Deedles! Lol

Deedles said...

Steven, honey, I understood you. It's just that broccoli has never smelled like fart inside my home before going thru my digestive system. Can't blame the dogs. They do silent but deadly. Me, you can hear throughout the house. Sorry, but between two sons and a husband I grew out of my delicate stage long ago in self defense! Secondhand testosterone can be a real killer!
@ Maddie Thruster, the Gut Buster huh? That sounds like a Pixar character. Can I still be Duchess Deedles? Huh, can I, can I!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, this is a no judgement blog, I always say that I know when a friend is comfortable around me when they "let'er rip" and that's the women! I forgive them lol and then have them sign a binding contract to never do it again, stay classy! :)