Sunday, March 31, 2019

Corky the raccoon.


 Yesterday was a doom and gloom day, not only did I go to a funeral but when I got home there were a bunch of messages regarding mom. Fortunately they got a hold of my sister and she went to deal with the nursing home issues. Again last night I didn't sleep, this is the complete opposite to when I first put her in. There were things that I didn't agree with at the first home but I never worried that they would mistreat or neglect her. Now that's my fear all the time.

 Today I went to look at a home they are going to eventually move her to when a spot becomes open. It's the light at the end of the tunnel that I needed. The home is fresh and clean looking plus smelling, there were no people running around yelling and screaming. The staff were friendly and helpful, there is a sitting room with comfy chairs to sit around in. I joked with a worker that I want to come and live there.

 Later in the afternoon I was invited to a delicious supper and met some new people with interesting stories to tell. Today turned out to be a good day, I really needed a good day.
In keeping with a good day I have a funny story that is unfolding during the night. Awhile back I noticed a case of beer in my basement, it was a twelve of Budweiser that I had bought for Christmas about five years ago. I realized that only a couple of bottles had been drank but they were too old now to drink so I put them outside in an old shed. My intention was to pour them out and recycle the bottles.

 Every second or third evening however; a raccoon enters the shed after dark. He lifts some of the bottles out of the case until he finds one that's still full. Then he starts biting at the cap until he can bend the edge up enough to get some beer out of the bottle. I named him Corky because Cappy just doesn't sound as good (lol). The winter was and is brutal, many animals wild and domestic are really struggling. I figure Corky is either hungry because of the harsh winter... or he has a drinking problem and comes at night so that the other raccoons won't gossip, either way I'm not judging him.

9 comments:

Deedles said...

I'm so glad you've got that light at the end of the tunnel, sweetie! Corky sounds like a hoot! You are so creative in not going with the obvious name of Buddy. I've tasted Bud. Five years could only make it taste better. Blurrrghh!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, lol, I'm not much of a beer drinker, there are only a few that I like. I will absolutely never let Guinness touch my lips ever again... blah!

Richard said...

I'm happy to read you had a good day. You deserve it.

Old Lurker said...

I thought you despised raccoons? I am surprised you haven't poisoned that beer. But Corky is not the only one who has been driven to drink by this winter.

It's good news that you have found a place for your mom. I was afraid to inquire. The word "eventually" worries me, though. Does someone else have to die first?!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Glad to hear things are looking better with the nursing home. It's a struggle. You'll see things work out and you'll be able to relax a little.
And the Corky story is absolutely priceless! A raccoon driven to alcoholism by a horrible winter. Call CNN!

XOXO

anne marie in philly said...

spouse likes miller lite; I don't drink beer at all.

raccoons are clever creatures. glad you put something out there for corky.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope that your Mom gets into that nicer nursing home soon. It sounds ideal! You know, expired beer often goes "skunky," but in this case, it has done so literally!

Bob said...

Great news about your mom.I hope a space opens up soon.

Corky's a smart, drunk, raccoon!

Jimmy said...

I've eaten barbecued racoon, but never stewed. I'm happy for you, that you and your sister have a plan in place for your mom. Hopefully time will move swiftly.