Saturday, February 18, 2017

Tolerating intolerance?

It's interesting to me to see how younger gay people live life. In Canada, many of the twenty somethings have been raised in an atmosphere of acceptance. They truly feel a part of society and see no distinction between themselves and heterosexual people, I am envious of this view point. They do not accept discrimination and are genuinely surprised whenever it presents itself, even better is their response to it, an immediate push back. ............................................. Being from an older generation, my world view is different and sometimes I feel of two minds about issues. Take for instance an indecent that happened last week. A young gay couple were making wedding plans, which on a side note still amazes me to write, "gay wedding plans". Anyhow back on track, this young couple were making wedding plans and the photographer upon finding out it was for two men, sent them an email stating that they would not take the job due to their religious beliefs. ............................................. I at first felt it was the photographer's right to turn down the job. The email was polite, I felt at least they were being honest and I know religion is something that people hold close to the very core of their being. I feel it's a little scary to start interfering with someone's religious beliefs. I also think this type of person is probably not that flexible and it would only make things worse by making them feel something was being forced on them. ............................................ Then there is the other side, I feel that holding this view, I am betraying the gay family, wimping out so to speak, not standing up for myself. I'm agreeing with trying to appease someone who doesn't deserve it. I am tolerating their intolerance towards people like me. A person could see how wrong this is when the word "gay" is taken out and another group is used in its place. "We're sorry but due to our beliefs we don't serve Asians, Jewish people, women etc". Sounds clear enough when changed around this way, although many religions do have rules about the role of women and we don't start enforcing secular laws on them. I heard an interesting interview with a lawyer who handles these types of cases in Canada. He said people have the right to hold an opinion or belief about certain groups but if they have a company that serves the public, they can't use those belief to discriminate against that particular group. I find it interesting that everyone becomes so religious when dealing with the Lgbt community. ............................................. If only these people could see the positive side to gay marriage, it's not an assault on marriage, it's an affirmation of marriage. Gay people (like me) see what their parents and grandparents had and they want that for themselves as well. The only difference is we have to have it in our own version of a relationship, a same-sex couple because that's who we are, we are not damaged straight people waiting to be fixed, we are gay people. It's a shame that these people can't see we actually want the same thing. Leaves me wondering what is the right thing to do, hope they come around? The problem with that is history shows the people who stay quiet and try to gently make changes usually get no where, it usually takes the loud, flashy, in your face moments to make real changes.

4 comments:

Walter said...

This is an interesting conundrum: should a doctor withhold healing a patient because the patient is gay? Or should a gay person deny service to a religious person because of the person's religious views about homosexuality? In the US that seems to be the stalemate at the moment. Like you, being of an older generation, some the views of the younger gay generation seem at odds with the times I grew up with. I never thought I'd see gay marriage approved in my lifetime, but here we are. And while I don't think I may ever marry, I would like to have the option available to me, not denied. It is my hope that we can all find a solution to this, but denial of services for any reason is still discrimination. My view is that discrimination of any kind, for any reason is wrong. :-)

Anonymous said...

The law is the law. It's there to protect everyone. I don't have religious belief myself but I respect others who do. However, religious belief can't be used as an excuse if it flouts the law. If a wedding photographer cant respect that, he or she needs to find another profession!!
JP

Stephen said...

A different generation, a different mind set, a different set of values from days past to today's present. However, no matter how much time spans there will always be someone that disagrees. A lesson I have learned from walking upon this earth, you can't please everyone no matter what. If you choose not to photograph me that is ok, there will be someone else, perhaps even better. Life is too short to worry about the negativity of some people.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Walter: thank you for your comment, I agree with your view point. I am also enjoying your blog.

JP, that was what the lawyer was saying and I think that is the clearest statement, if you have a company that serves the public, you can't start picking and choosing who you feel like serving.

Stephen, true maybe not worry about what people think but also maybe time to start calling them out on it; however I say that as someone who feels he doesn't do enough to change attitudes, I avoid confrontations and the truth is if it happened to me, I would have been humiliated but would have probably said nothing.