Friday, December 5, 2008

Jerk At The Pulpit

A few days ago I was watching on TV a minister preaching to his congregation, he turned to the subject of gay marriage. Of course he went into a frenzy and I thought he would start foaming at the mouth for a second. He basically went on to say that 'homosexuals' are ashamed of who they are and they want the rest of the world to accept them because deep down they feel guilty and also that deep down they know they are wrong. That straight people accepting homosexuals will make us not feel the guilt so much because 'straights' will be "lowering" their standards of morals to meet our own. He said we want our relationships to be viewed as normal and part of society. He said deep within our soul we know we are sinning and our very soul cries that out to us. I could not help think "you jerk, you are placing your ignorant views about me, on me."

Down deep to my very core, even though I had a hard time accepting my homosexuality, I felt shame because of hiding being gay. Yes, there was some shame over being gay but whenever I really thought about it, I knew it was just a part of me and not something like wanting to steal or hurt someone. The hiding felt like lying and that was most of my guilt. I want people to accept me so I can live in peace with Dave, not because I think I need straight people to validate my life. It feels very 'normal' for me to be with Dave in every way that two people relate to one another as a couple. It however feels very wrong and almost repulsive to be with a woman in an intimate way for me. Our relationships 'are' normal, just the sexes are different and gay relationships are already part of society, just he is too stubborn to open his eyes, look past his nose and see they are all around him. You want me to search deep down, okay deep down I know I'm right and you're wrong! My very soul tells me I'm gay and whether I'm a good person or not has nothing to do with the fact of me being gay or straight. One final thing, as a preacher please stop lying, do not say you are only saying these things out of love for us when you are yelling and screaming like a mad man, we can tell when there is anger and contempt in a person's voice, at least tell the truth, that you hate us, that you can't stand us and have no intention of trying to know who we are or what we are going through. At least then I would respect you for being honest with your followers, because according to your good book, half truths and lies do not come from God so who inspired your sermon.

11 comments:

Butch said...

These jerks make their living spewing hate from the pulpit. It's a big seller when the collection plate goes around. Fortunately, I gave up religion a long time ago and look at it for what it is; a business that loves telling others what to do.

I like the freedom of leaving them behind in their hate. Now, if we could only keep them from meddling in government affairs and if we could get them to stop trying to impose their rules and regulations on the whole public, we will have accomplished something.

Java said...

I love your responses to his assertions. As I started reading what he said, I thought to myself that this fool doesn't know "homosexual" from a hole in his head.

r. said...

I think before anyone preaches, we all should find love in ourselves, first, only then we can spread our love to our fellow neighbors [human]. How can anyone love himself and despise others?

Love is encompassing.

Have a great weekend Luff.
{{{{Steven}}}}

Anonymous said...

Knowing that you had a hard time accepting your homosexuality, it's promising to see that you have "come around" and have such fervor and stand against such negativity and falsehoods. :-)

Anonymous said...

Having been in the "ministry" myself before and sitting behind some of these preachers...having a brother wh o is one of them...and constantly hearing it here in the house ...I know what you mean....your post really hit home with me.

Birdie said...

Preach it, sweetie. Take pride in the man God made you to be, exactly as you are. Thank you for this post. It gives me fuel for my meeting on Monday.

Peter said...

Well said Steven

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Steven!!

Wayne said...

Well said Steven!

john said...

Great post buddy!

Creative Thinker said...

Very well said. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. (Get down on your knees right now and thank God that he has spared you that misery.) I am a spiritual person who is finding it increasingly difficult to go to church because of the way they act toward gays. And living in the South, it is still the biggest taboo out there.