Thursday, March 3, 2016

Need a Backbone!

Nope, not a post about wimping out on some important life choice, it's a simple post on when plans backfire. The other morning we had snowzilla III and I was off work for the day. I was actually excited about this because I was thinking of all the chores I needed to get caught up on and the snow day would have been a perfect catch up time. I was just lighting a fire to warm up the house and as I stood up, I felt my lower back muscle pinch. Eeeeeeoooow. I hate that, it hasn't happened for a few years now and I wasn't expecting it, although I guess a person never really expects something like that. ............................................ I was humped over like an elderly person, I lost the power to stand, so so annoying. All I can do now is wait it out. Nothing more frustrating than having things needing to be taken care of, having the time to do it, but not being able to do it for reasons beyond my control. Lying around feeling sorry for myself, it makes me think how we can take being mobile for granted. A little scary to think there are people who are always in pain or are hurt in a way that they will never walk again. Most people have things to do, places to be, so it's startling when something comes out of the blue and interferes with our plans. Maybe somewhere in our bodies there is a trigger to shut us down, press the reset button, take a moment and slow us to a crawl (almost literally for me). Or maybe I'm just getting older. ....................................... Actually I don't think this is an age thing, I have had this problem since I was a teenager, lower back pain seems very common. Many people nod their heads in agreement when I say I can pile firewood or stack heavy boxes all day with no problem, then bend down to tie a shoelace, pick a piece of paper off the floor or stand up from lighting a fire and boom! Instant excruciating back pain. As soon as I am able to drive, my new buddy has an awesome jacuzzi and gives great back rubs, a friend in need am I. There really isn't any point to this post other than me whining and looking for empathy from you people, shameless I know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Warm showers or baths and aspirin work for me. Hope you feel better soon.
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Thanks JP, mostly lying down, at least I can walk around again.

Ur-spo said...

I feel your pain; last week while doing deadlifts at the gym my back went into an all too familiar spasm that portends I will be suffering for a week. Indeed. I am just now able to get up from a chair without looking like someone just punched me in the stomach .
Get well both of us.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Soaked in a Jacuzzi today and that really let the muscles relax. Umm uhh err yah, that totally happens when I am lifting weights at the gym, probably will never see you again so I can lie about working out.

Ur-spo said...

Bite your tongue on the last comment. You are stuck with me, like bad luggage .