Thursday, July 23, 2015

From There to Here.

How did I get here, to a place where I sometimes have to remind myself that I am into guys. I have those moments of "oh yeah" I almost forgot. Compared to obsessing over it at one point and being truly homophobic to the actual definition of the word. Don't get me wrong, it's still a journey for me but I'm okay with it now. ....................................... One of the stepping stones that I can't express enough administration for, was the blogosphere. I know blogs are fading away and being replaced by the latest and greatest but for a moment in time, they were a connecting link for people struggling to come out. People don't blog anymore, actually I don't think people come out anymore, seems now that they just start dating and show up with whichever partner they are attracted to. ....darn this smartphone won't let me use paragraphs........ Anyway I have a lot of gratitude for bloggers who helped me get comfortable in my skin, helped me move ahead to actually being gay. Most of all for the first time in my life, this gave me the opportunity to fall in love with a great man, a life experience I was terrified that I would miss out on. Of course love went flying off the rails years later but I will not go there now. ....................... It started with the blog Inside Stephen, that guy was my first sounding board, then I found a whole world of bloggers, Matt of Matter days, Scott in Iowa, three or four guys named Joe, a few Stevens, Patrick in New York, Brad southern expressions and on and on. Some I began to talk to, my best buddy John of Open a Window and not to forget David of David's tangled thoughts. I really miss the early blogs and wonder what they are up to now. I made a lot of connections as time went on, too many to list but I remember you if you see this. ...................... So I think this is my long way around to saying that I am going to get to meet four bloggers on Friday. Yup and this smartphone is not letting me put the links up, drat! One of the early blogs I used to follow was Ur-Spo, so I am really happy to get to meet Michael who writes the blog, not that the other gentlemen don't count lol, just for me there is that connection to my stumbling out of the closet. I think this is one of those bucket list items, meet other bloggers. Hope I don't say anything stupid.

2 comments:

Will said...

I remember happily corresponding with you but it was a while ago and then we got out of touch. I have more or less gone silent on DesignerBlog, lured away by the more immediate connection to friends, family, former students and colleagues. At any rate, I am happy you have a chance to meet Michael (Dr. Spo) and David, great friends and traveling companions of mine and my (very sadly) late husband.

Will said...

That was meant to say, the more immediate connection to friends, family, former students and colleagues via Facebook.