Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Chefboyarsteve!

This evening I am very pleased with myself, I was invited to supper and I made a perfect apple crumble. I used apples from my own tree, I don't know what kind it is, the tree is old and grew on its own, the apples need to be left on the tree late into fall before being picked to get the best flavour. The fruit is not that good to just pick and eat off the tree but is really good for baking with. I have been playing around with a simple recipe, adding sliced almonds on top and a couple of teaspoons of my secret ingredient. I also let it cook for about seven minutes longer than asked. On my way over I bought vanilla frozen yogurt to go with my creation. It was a hit, compliments all around. The funny part however and also the best compliment, was every time I looked over, one of my hosts was sneaking another mouthful of apple crumble, in fact as I was getting ready to leave, it was almost all gone. That gave me a satisfying feeling, my efforts were appreciated. I want to see if I can replicate my creation and then maybe, just maybe I will share the recipe, maybe.

12 comments:

Vivian said...

Aw, that's really adorable, picking the apples off your own tree and baking them with love. If your tree is truly wild, then it is probably a unique specimen -- fruit trees are funny that way. If grown from seed, as in the wild (rather than cultivated) you never know what you'll get. You might have a Chefboyarsteve one-of-a-kind.

Jennifer said...

Please share your recipe! It sounds wonderful! 🍏🍎

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Vivian, you sound like you are a green thumb lol. Yes it is a one of a kind apple tree. It is probably about 60 years old but not very big actually, small due to damage years ago. I assume someone was eating an apple and pitched the core into the woods. It grew for years and we never noticed, my dad had found a wild crabapple and we planted it on the lawn (also good to eat), when the crab was old enough to flower and form apples, the larger tree produced apples as well, we assume it needs to be cross pollinated or maybe just coincidence. This year was proof of the need for plant diversity, while the cold wet summer here ruined most people's apple crop, this tree went into high gear and production was unbelievable.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Jennifer, hello! What part of secret recipe did you not get? Hahaha! I will share since you asked so nicely, first I want to try a few more times to see if it's something I did right or was it just a lucky break. It's really easy though, I don't like complicated in the kitchen.

John Going Gently said...

I'm a good baker too so I too make a good apple crumble

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I never said I was a (good) baker lol, I do alright, I am much better John at eating things that other people bake! Does that count?

Anonymous said...

Your apple crumble sounds delicious. Every summer I go to a blueberry farm and pick them ripe off the bush and then I make a blueberry cobbler that is really good.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

That sounds delicious! I have a bunch of blueberries that I froze, I was thinking of a blueberry pie.
Michael 54, I kept trying to leave a comment of support on your blog but ever time I did the comments section crashed. It's my garbage internet connection, nothing on your part. Anyway, you will get through all the rough patches and things will get better. Your dog Murphy is priceless!

Ur-spo said...

Good for you!
I am delighted to read you had enjoyed yourself.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dr. Spo, I ate your piece!

Ur-spo said...

This sounds slightly scurrilous and I like it.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lol.