Thursday, September 8, 2016

Milestones from Stepping Stones

The other day I was listening to the radio and one of the reporters was talking about an interview he did with gay comedian and actor Scott Thompson, it was regarding a show he was doing in Ottawa for pride week. Scott was saying how he now just does a routine and doesn't do his past gay characters. He said it's because in the past people were willing to accept the gay characters for a laugh but were not comfortable accepting a real gay person. He said now however people don't care about gay or straight and he no longer needs the safety net of a gay character to hide behind. He can just be himself, a gay comedian. The younger people don't see that shift, but it catches me every now and again, I like to pause and think about how far we have come. Sometimes I have to take a second, I think back to when I was a teenager and would just dream of a world where gay people could just be themselves one day. I'm seeing that happening now, it's hard not to wish I was younger to be part of this but maybe I wouldn't appreciate it as much. So here's to another shift in society, where we can just be we, because most people want it that way, awesome!

4 comments:

Ur-spo said...

awesome, indeed. totally.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I am surprised more people our age aren't in therapy.
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

To be honest JP, I do feel damaged.

Totally Dr Spo? Lol are you teasing me?

Ur-spo said...

I never tease, but I go for the humor of things when I can.