Friday, March 27, 2015

Thirty years. THIRTY YEARS!!!

This morning while listening to the radio, the hosts were discussing the fact that the movie "The Breakfast Club" will hit a mile stone of thirty years. What what what!?! No no say that can't be. I remember the summer after the release, it was a big year for us. The small country school ended at grade eleven so most students had to leave home. It was the beginning of becoming an adult, exciting and scary at the same time. Also a little sad as we knew that we would no longer see each other again. ...............................The odd thing is, I remember the movie, I remember the sound track, I remember the general feeling teens had that this was "our" movie at the time, but I never saw the movie until last year. Sounds strange as my friends would talk about it and tell me that I must see it. I intended to rent it but just never got around to it. Back in the day when you also rented the VCR to watch it with, remember that? Time passed and here we are. ............................ Thirty years, I have to say I feel I have made too many wrong choices, I am not anywhere near where I had hoped to be at this point in my life. Too many times I have taken the easiest route in life, I hate stress or the feeling of anxiety and it never pays off in the end to pick a softer way. Maybe this is part of the whole generation X view on life. ................................................ So the movie, I was borrowing old DVDs to watch and the breakfast club was in the box. So excited to finally get to see it after all these years. What did I think? Huge let down, so sad but I'm too old to relate to "my" teen coming of age movie. I thought it was mush, I was bored. Probably if I had watched it back then it would be nostalgic for me to see now. However I don't have that connection. Don't you forget about me (so says my youth). Which by the way for us diehard Simple Minds fans was the end of Simple Minds and not the beginning like most people think. Thirty years, how did that happen.

No comments: