Friday, September 15, 2017

Signs, Clear As Mud.

The hardest part of being a gay man I feel, is not letting yourself get too attached to a great guy. Easier said than done, I find myself stepping back from many friendships when I realize that I suddenly find that person attractive. Everything they say is funny, they look so good in "that" shirt, their cologne smells so nice, their voice gives me chills. Wait STOP! Then I realize what is happening and have to reprogram my thinking. I put up a wall when I am around most guys but things happen. The hardest of all is the lonely straight guy, he is the guy that is new to the area or too shy to meet people. Generally they are attracted to me because I'm quiet and shy in public but like to joke around one on one. They see that I am easy going and friendly so they feel comfortable approaching me. The brain tells me they just want a friendship but my emotional side sends confusing messages. It's hard not to see signs that aren't really there, like when they constantly ask me out to dinner or to come over for the evening. To a straight guy it's two buddies hanging out, to a gay guy it's a date??? Nothing snaps you into reality than the discussion of picking up women (yuck). It's hard not to think "is he trying to tell me something" or "does he want to be more than just friends" but I have found so far that it's been 100% friend zone for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only gay man in the world, that's why I found it so uplifting to see the young gay couple last week. Not surprising that I am going through this dilemma at the moment. I have become good friends with someone at work and he is really trying to get closer to me. I don't know what this means, it's flattering that someone finds me interesting but to what level. The other problem is he is younger and comes from a community that is not gay positive, so even if he does have feelings for me, he may not fully accept or understand them. I can only say "no" to going out for so long, starting next week I'm going to say yes. Thanks for listening.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's tough because you want to interpret the signals s particular way (we've all done it). But remember this. People are drawn to others who radiate an glow about them - you obviously have that.
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JP, well I'm just awesome and may I add very humble also. If only awesome enough to "turn" a guy, lol.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the situation. It is hard not knowing how to interpret things. I have been in that situation before a couple of times.

Vivian said...

II've always said that the worst part of being a straight woman is that I have to date straight men. Good luck. They are clueless -- a straight guy will usually let you do all the emotional work...they can't help it, they were raised to feel that entitled.

Ur-spo said...

You are not the only gay man in the world; you are not alone.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I know the reality is that he is straight, everyone is straight, every freaking guy that I ever meet is straight.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Vivian, I think there are a lot of clueless gay men as well. I feel sorry for the wives of the guys I work with, the stories they tell make them sound like kids sometimes, then they have no idea why they are in trouble with the Mrs.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dr. Spo, feels that way most times. Just once I would like to make a new friend and one day he would surprise me by saying he is gay.