Saturday, September 29, 2007

Out, for the evening.

Well we had planned to go out for the evening Friday but two of us had to cancel, so we scrapped the night until we could all get together. I was so ready to tell my friends that I did not want to wait. I figured, start with the hard one first. So I told Bea that her friendship was really important to me and then told her I was gay, I also said I hoped she would not feel deceived by me pretending to her that I was straight. She said that I had not deceived her and that she was glad for me to be able to tell her and feel comfortable enough with myself to say it out loud. She also said who I pick as a partner has no bearing on our friendship what so ever, then she joked and said unless she hates the guy! She said she feels privileged to be my friend and that nothing will change between us except that now she knows me and understands me better and plus she thinks I'm a sweetie. I had to ask the question, you know the one where I ask if she sort of knew. She said yes that she sort of always knew, she said that it was not a question that she was ever going to ask and if I wanted to keep it to myself, she felt it was my right. I want to kick myself about the hiding thing but I am learning to let it go. As a side note, how can people say we are not born gay, when people can 'tell' we are gay sometimes even before we fully understand ourselves that we are gay. The last thing I heard from her was last night, she sent me an email saying "we love you just the way you are Steve, you're perfect" (sigh) - makes a person feel so mushy and warm inside!

I was not able to get a hold of Elly, I don't feel the pressure to tell her, I know she may be a little surprised - or maybe not but she is cool with the whole gay culture. I worry that she will blab, actually it is her husband that I worry who will blab most. Elly is like my little sister but the guy she married is a bit of a (blank), you fill in the blank. He would not feel loyal to me and I still want some control over who knows and who does not. Bea and Eric said if I am going to be worried then why not hold off until I am a little more comfortable. I think I will do that for now. Eric joked and said that he knows Elly will be OK with it but the only problem is that she is really going to be "pissed" (sorry his word not mine) that she was the last to find out! I had to laugh, that will be so true, I used to be closest to her out of all our friends. The thing with Eric and Barb is that what I say to them in confidence will always stay with them. I knew even if Barb had a bad reaction that she would still hold my secret.

There is another friend that I will try to see this weekend, we are not as close as we used to be but she is also cool having gay friends. she is another person I can trust. It feels so good to just be myself around my sister and friends, I should have done this years ago but better late than never. I am still thinking over the situation with my parents, that will be a hard one and honestly I don't have the answer yet. At least now if I start dating I don't have to worry about bumping into my friends, in fact it would be a good thing because we could ask them to join us. Opening the closet door seems to also open a lot of other doors as well.

7 comments:

Pete said...

Good for you! I think negative reactions will be few and far between, generally, because your friends know you as a real, physical being. You're not some anonymous abstract gay guy, you're you.

Of course, there are still bigots out there, but you would probably not be friends with them...

The parents are the hardest part. I think my mom suspects, but I still worry if it would be one blow too much for her. I really am stumped about that, and it's the one thing in her life I actually can control.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog through Wayne's World. It's great to read about your process of coming out. It's a journey to celebrate!! And I love your point about people knowing we're gay before we do...so how can be choose it? Amen!

Bill said...

You're on a roll, and I'm very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Steve - thanks for your encouragement on my blog....congrats on having some friends who are supportive of you...:-)

David said...

Hey there. I'm glad that I can finally comment on your site. :) That's great that you friends have been so supportive for you. Even one of them who trying to get you to be more proactive with the gay community. Some friendships that were pretty much mediocre became so much better after I came out to them. It's sorta like fresh air, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

hey steve! thanks for the comment - i'll be on the look out for guy #3! hahahaha. maybe it'll be girl #1? who knows! hahah. thanks again!

Steven said...

Congrats on how you have been received. I know it is such a "relieving" yet fulfilling feeling. Many wishes of continued acceptance!