Saturday, September 22, 2007

On the lighter side.

Wow , was I ever a wind bag yesterday! Sorry about that folks, I will try not to do that anymore. Sometimes I have stuff in my head that just needs to come out, I'll try to keep them shorter. Today I will make it lighter, I want to mention a few things that make me laugh regarding being gay and also when I talk with my closest blog buddy, who is actually travelling this weekend - safe trip buddy.

"Fag-bangle", this cracks me up! It is opposite to fag-hag as where a fag-hag is sort of a boring woman who hangs out with gay guys to make her life interesting, fag-bangle is the gay guy that the popular girls have in their group as an accessory to look cool to society. I think if my friend Elly knew years ago I was gay, I would have totally been the fag-bangle to her and her little group. Only maybe I dress too conservatively for that roll.

"Gay it forward", as in pay it forward, my buddy told me this one, from W&G. When I told him that part of the reason I wanted to blog was to give gay people coming out a place to come so as not to feel alone like other bloggers had done for me, he said when we help other gay people new to the scene, we "gay it forward".

The name "Steven", what is it with every second gay blogger being named Steve, Steven or Stephen, I now know why I am gay, it is because my parents named me Steven, I was doomed from that moment on, why could I have not been named Mike, Troy or George at least the odds would have been in my favour then. If a showdown comes between my parents and I over being gay, I will tell them what every parent does not want to hear from a gay son, that it is their fault!

In the days when I use to try to convince myself that I was not gay, I would grasp at any straws. One of my arguments in my head would go as follows, I can't be gay because, I like to listen to Led Zeppelin, I like to watch rodeos and when I was young I was in love with the bionic woman. Feeling good about my new found heterosexuality the little voice in the back of my mind would always counter with, "yes but you can name every song that ABBA ever wrote, you like to watch figure skating and it was Tarzan that you wanted to swim naked with when you were a boy, not the bionic woman", d'oh! I would try to fight back with the fact that I used to watch westerns but would only be reminded that I know the words to all the songs in The Sound of Music, not to mention Singing in the Rain.

I think it is healthy to laugh at ourselves and is probably one of the signs that a person is getting comfortable with being gay. If anyone has heard of other funny sayings feel free to comment or email them to me, just nothing vulgar or gross please. OK everyone have a good weekend.

8 comments:

john said...

Yes, continue to gay it forward

Justin said...

Hey there, yeah the peabody is known nation wide for it's ducks. They march down from the roof top every morning to the fountain, and then march back up to their houses on the roof again at night. It all started as a joke in 1869, the owner had been duckhunting and had been drinking a little whiskey on the trip, (not a good idea)LOL but on his way home in his drunken state, he thought it would be funny to put his live decoys in the fountain to play a prank on the hotel employees. We he did it. Came back later that afternoon and discovered that the ducks were still there in the fountain and that the guests were flocking to them. And there have been ducks in that very same fountain every day since then. Well, thats the story in a nut shell.

Brad said...

I'm a Led Zeppelin fan myself.

Doesn't make me any less gay, though...

Pete said...

I always blame the hookers around the corner from my house for my sexuality - and then I get a response like: "really?" LOL.

Scott in Iowa said...

Haha! I love your comment about your name being the reason you're gay.
Great blog! Really enjoy your writing.
Hang in there buddy!

Sorted Lives said...

Found your site through Matterdays. I had to laugh because you said you can't be gay because you still listen to Led Zeppelin. I still own all of their CD's.

I know many gay men who do not fit the stereotypical "gay man." I have always said being gay doesn't define me, it's just part of who I am.

I look forward to reading more!

TheBuxStopHere said...

All I could think of was Gay Rodeos....though I've never been to one I'm intrigued.

Big Lost Guy said...

Ok I will have to say that you have to stop writing thought provoking stuff like that because it makes what I write look like junk..LOL

O and count me in the for the Gay Rodeo..save a horse ride a cowboy..YeeHaw!