Monday, May 21, 2018

Watching South Park Drunk.


Drinking and watching South park when feeling down is something I highly recommend. I was feeling down about certain things Sunday night and I couldn't sleep. Monday was a holiday and I also had this craving for something filling. Now I confess that I am a cheap date, I don't really drink so it actually doesn't take much to get me feeling tipsy. I don't have much choice out here in the country tv wise, I was watching the news and when it ended South Park came on. I was feeling pretty light headed by then so all the stupid jokes were that much more stupid. It was the perfect episode for me, it was a spoof on illegal immigrants but being South Park, instead of Mexicans coming in across the borders, it was hordes of Canadians, ( you have to watch those Canadians). I nearly wet myself when they were teaching people the alphabet song in Canadian, stupid in real time, hilarious in tipsy time. At some point I felt sleepy and went to bed.

 Just before the news at eleven came on, I caught the end of some awards show. They brought out the rap group Salt & Pepper to receive an achievement award. Now being a white boy from a farming community up in Canada, I am not qualified to judge rap music. I don't like most of it to be honest but it's probably because I don't have a cultural connection, except Drake maybe, I like a lot of his pieces (a good Canadian boy). I felt there were a lot of good rap songs back in the day when I could still shake my little asset. It's funny how back then rap, dance and hip-hop were fighting to get recognised, now they are part of the main stream with pop music and it's now rock that has been scrubbed away from awards shows.

 They said it was thirty years ago that Salt and Pepper came on scene, thirty years that really shocked me, after thirty years Sa Sa Salt and Pepper is still hip (I think maybe only Maddie will get that). The ladies performed a bunch of their hits and I think they proved my point about good rap songs back in the day, every star and singer in the audience was on their feet shaking booty to the sisters great tunes, I will also say even as a gay man, I noticed the ladies still looked delicious after thirty years. It was like the show ended with a party, they deserved the award, good job. I don't think too many places in thirty years will be jumping to today's rap songs screaming "slap the b..ch"! Wow, thirty years... where did it go?

20 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

I love me some of Salt and Peppa....and throw in some Spinadrella. Now Lets Talk about Sex baby.........

Mike said...

I wasn't going to comment on this because 1) I don't know South Park outside of the Merry F***** Christmas song, which I adore, and 2) I haven't heard enough Rap and Hip Hop to make a judgment. But then I saw an interview with Wynton Marsalis, all about Rap and Hip Hop (spoiler he hated it 30 years ago and hates it still). It came from the podcast Cape Up, which the Washington Post music critic publishes.

Deedles said...

Oh, you are so Canadian! It's Salt 'N' Pepa. I've always hated hip hop/rap music, myself. I feel the same about heavy metal, punk and anything loud and screechy. I don't like in your face sex (lyrics that is). I love show tunes, r&b, non nationalistic country, old school Motown and such. Give me melody, give me lyrics I can understand give me an honorary gay man's card! Too much?
I've never seen a single episode of South Park, and never want to. I'm sorry that you were feeling so low, honey. Keep on hand some of my massive, pudgy grandma hugs for when you need them. If you need something a little more carnal, talk to Maddie!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, I think we're about to be lectured on the great recordings of Bobby Vinton and Doris Day. At least one of my readers speaks "cool" as well as I do. I need a mighty mighty good man! :)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mike, you have to comment, it's in our contract, lol. I always said I would never criticise the younger generation's music but I'm finding it harder and harder to keep that promise, wait was that a criticism? Lol

Mike said...

Did I hear someone say show tunes, country and Motown? Now we're talking! Deedles, you can have my gay card -- apparently I don't have much use for it anymore.

The other day I asked Siri to play some bossa nova. What I got was Brazilian rap with a faint bossa nova beat in the background. Totally unsatisfactory.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, eh? What did you mean by that eh? You are right, Salt N Pepa, I thought that's what it was but every time I googled it, I got Salt and Pepper so I figured what do I know and wrote it that way. Proves not to trust info from the internet lol. Are you watching the voice? I like the four people in the final, any one of them deserves to win, I am slightly leaning towards Spensha Baker, she gives me goose bumps when she sings.
Everyone can use some grandma hugs, I'm going to keep some in case of emergency. :)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mike, I think you deserve to keep that gay card if you are into show tunes!
The search engines are geared towards the kids, I go bonkers when trying to search for apple recipes and all the levels of spell check keep writing Apple as in the phone... grrrr!

Mike said...

Steven, enjoy your in between years while you can. At my age I'm lucky if I can recall the old songs I grew up with. Bob and play a game. I put on 60s radio, the songs are all familiar, we even know the lyrics and sing along. We try to guess who the artists are. I'm lucky if I'm batting 500.

Deedles, my all time favorite album is Willy Nelson's Stardust. Old Standards with a twang. Never grows old. Close second is Rod Stewert's As Time Goes By. Especially the duet with Cher. Can I have my gay card back?

Deedles said...

Yes, Mike, you can have your gay card back. I'm much too low maintenance to have one! It's funny, I was only in my tween years in the sixties, but I remember more songs from that era than any other. I'm a little more old school when it comes to Standards. Ed Ames, Robert Goulet, Eydie Gorme and such. I like Willy Nelson songs but usually sung by somebody else :) Now Waylon Jennings? Yum! Ella Fitzgerald "Live from Berlin" is a personal favorite.

Steven, whatever is wrong with Bobby "the Polish Prince" Vinton, and Doris Day, eh? Great talent lasts forever! Who is going to be singing Bootylicious fiddy years from now? I used to watch The Voice until I noticed a pattern of who was winning whenever they threw it to the public to vote. I watched for awhile this season because I love Kelly Clarkson! She brings such life to the program. Blake Shelton with that finger pointing to his head has gotten on my last nerve, gorgeous dimples notwithstanding. I will probably watch the last show to see who wins.

Anonymous said...

A drunk Canadian farm boy grooving to Rap. Now, that paints an interesting picture.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mike, you said Cher, you get the gold plated gay card.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, Willy is like Bob Dillon, great song writers but don't even try to give me an album. Although I loved the duet between Willy Nelson and Lee Ann Womack, it was awesome. Kelly Clarkson made the show so fun this year, I love her personality, these four judges worked well together.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

RJ, take me clubbing and I will show you my moves, I danced in large gay dance clubs in Montreal, I was young once, we don't all listen to country music out here, Madonna was an icon to me, lol. Get into the groove boy you got to prove your love to me.....

Deedles said...

STEVEN! MADONNA? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sob, whimper, long drawn out moan of disappointment..... I'm going to a corner to suck my thumb now.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, calm down, let me place a warm cloth on your forehead, here's a nice blanket, I'm making you some relaxing tea. Don't worry, I never bought a CD but at a party it's in the gay DNA to shake booty to Madonna. Willy Nelson's greatest dance hits just doesn't cut it.

Deedles said...

Hey! Don't dis Willie's dance hits, I'll cut a bitch! Ha! I can't even type that with a straight face. With Willie, you have to dance behind the beat, you know, the way he sings :) I truly can't see anything that Madonna "sings" has rhythm enough to dance to. Jumping and waving your arms like a crazy person, maybe, but dance? Nope. Now I threw on Play That Funky Music White Boy to shake my lack of booty and get that Madonna taste out of my mouth. The warm cloth, nice blanket and relaxing tea help a lot! Thank you. You're such a doll baby!

Seriously, you are so much fun to interact with. Who ever snaps you up is going to be so lucky!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, I like that song too! I am a funky white boy! Ok no I'm not but it's a great song! I tell people my blog is how I sound to myself in my head; however being introverted and really shy there is a disconnect to the real world, you will never see me like this as a stranger or new friend. It takes a long time for me to connect with people but once I do, this is how you would see me, and by then I drive people nuts but it's too late, they can't escape... hahaha!

Mistress Maddie said...

You better brace Deedles....because I did buy just about every Madonna cd up till she became a disaster, which started with Hard Candy cd. She has been downhill ever since.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, it's hard to dance while using a walker! Lol

Madonna and Cher gave us love when nobody else was doing it, no wonder the gays are loyal lol.