Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Now it's your turn.

 I am not one to admire fame, I don't look at any actor or singer as some sort of hero or god. To be honest, I almost see them in a reverse light. I get annoyed by the way some will try to interfere with the livelihoods of regular every day people. I think most become activists with good intentions but sometimes the hypocrisy gets to me. The Hollywood crowd has no problem interfering with forestry, agriculture or the energy sector (and that's not always a bad thing) but now it's their turn.

  I watched tonight how some actors are going to help students in the US possibly get a movement started to get guns under control. However it's not enough to just donate money. You can't say guns are bad, let's have a vigil then tomorrow catch me in my new movie, "Shopping Mall Massacre", my latest work where I make the audience feel justified in killing people because I am seeking vengeance for them killing my family. It's a wonderful two hour romp of nothing but shooting, killing, blood and bodies everywhere. How about hash tag hypocrite. You don't have the integrity to point fingers at politicians, when  families are watching you running around all evening with a gun shooting at everyone on your latest show. America needs to change its culture, I think it's finally seeing that. As a Canadian I have no problem pointing this out, the American sickness is coming across the borders into Canada, there is a problem with guns being smuggled into our country. Even little Ottawa is starting to have drive by shootings every three to four days, something unheard of when I was younger.

 I hope the kids run with this, maybe they can start a movement like the "Me Too" movement, look how that is gaining power. The adults have thrown up their hands so sadly the kids feel they need to take over. Suddenly the government is talking about some changes, I think the kids have frightened them, the government knows with today's social media, this could suddenly turn into a tsunami of a protest. The powers that be, may be feeling that if they look like they're taking action, the kids won't organize and this will die down, then everyone can go back to doing nothing.  I hope they see through that, I hope the protests grow, I hope something starts to change.

 The entertainment industry has to be part of the solution as well and stop pretending they have no responsibility, just as people are no longer turning a blind eye to sexual harassment, people should not see extreme violence as just another ordinary day in America. There must be better writers out there than bang, pow, boom and like the Me Too movement, people should feel embarrassed if they are associated with the gun culture.

7 comments:

Old Lurker said...

I think actors have to leave their principles at the door when they enter the profession. Otherwise they don't get work. Bang pow boom does have an audience, so that is what we make movies (and video games) about.

I like the idea of the hashtag movement.

Anonymous said...

I've been watching with delight and glee as these teens from the red (ugh!) state I live in are making headlines and news about a problem that is ruining my country. They are an inspiration. Were I an actor or person of means, I'd contribute to their cause, encourage (Rah! Rah! Rah!), and help them along, only because the way this country works, and the only language our politicians understand, is — kah-shing, $$$, — money. 2018 is an election year; we can either keep the status quo and let things sort themselves out (which they haven't), or we can vote people into office who will DO something about it. I think these kids are the start of something bigger, better for this country. If someone wants to give them money for it, so be it, so long as their message is not drowned out by political advertising, Russian bots, or anyone who feels what happened in Palm Beach is normal. (Whew!)

Mistress Maddie said...

The entertainment industry, quite frankly are all a pain in the ass. A platform they have and don't use it. And the person who rams our country is the worst of them all. Besides....what going on with his hair? What's that called? A rats nest honey.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mr. Lurker, other countries make movies without a gun fight in it every ten minutes. Why not bring in a little reality then, in real life you can't shoot down someone, dust yourself off and then go on with your day like nothing happened. I'm not saying completely change Hollywood but at least stop glorifying the gun culture. Something has to change.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Walter, yes I am so proud of the kids protesting, some of the thoughts they are articulating are far beyond anything I have heard from the adults. Sure, money used for a good cause is welcomed from anyone. I don't trust any politician, they need to be put on edge, they need to understand that if they were put in for a reason, they better do what the voters want. I think that is the only way things will change, if the protests grow to a size where things shut down, where the CEO 's don't make a million dollars by noon, phone calls will start happening. I think it's better if the protesters keep control and not get hijacked by politicians, activists or whatever, those people have an agenda, the kids just want to go to school without being shot at.

Anonymous said...

I read your post with a tinge of sadness that I live in a culture that is filled with violence like this, but also I read with a bit of hope thinking that maybe these protests that the students are leading will finally change something. Time will tell I guess.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Michael54, time will tell, I was watching again last night, go kids go! I also watched a bunch of pathetic ignorant people try to discredit the kids, it was pretty telling when they spoke to the kids compared to these adults. The kids spoke plainly from the heart, the idiots spoke talking points. Your government is saying they are looking into letting you carry a gun to class, I guess that might really help you with discipline?