Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Senior Kindergarten.


 I was in a store a few days ago and they were selling Christmas chocolates and cookies for a very... very low price. Not one to ruin his resolve of eating healthy, I couldn't resist the temptation. I bought a package of cookies similar to shortbread cookies. I thought they would be nice with tea when my neighbours drop in. On the package the label read, "no artificial colors, additives, corn syrup, fructose/glucose or nuts". That evening when I went to have one or five with my tea, I realized the label was not complete. I think the package should also read, "also does not contain any flavor, taste or enjoyment of any kind".

 Git off mah lawn! I try not to sound like a grumpy old man in the making, the grumpy part I can work on, the old part I can't lol. I was joking with friends the other day who are the same age as me, that we are becoming the junior-seniors, we are entering the junior kindergarten of senior life. It's that same trick as last time, "look Steve, you get to play big boy now, you can try being in school to see how much you like it"! However the trick is there is no alternative, when you say you don't like the new adventure... there's no going back.

 Why can't I have a nice meal dang nabbit! I went to a restaurant the other day, I was hungry and wanted real food, not grease in a box. I had been there twice before and both the food and service were good. This time I got a meal of bbq chicken breast. The mashed potatoes were delicious with a little onion and spices in them, the homemade coleslaw was probably the best I ever had in my life but the chicken... meh or even less than meh. The chicken was dry and the bbq sauce wasn't any kind of bbq sauce that I have ever tasted before, it was very bland, actually a bit worse than bland. To make matters worse, that day I had one of those invisible waitresses, no sign of her anywhere. I just wasn't enjoying my meal, the final touch came in the form of a small fly that was determined to do laps in my tea. I don't spend my time chasing flies away from the dinner table at the farm, I certainly don't expect it out at a restaurant in the city. I probably did the wrong thing, I just paid my bill and left, in my head I was thinking maybe the restaurant was having a bad day. I will give them another chance, I should have told them that I didn't enjoy the chicken. I was thinking later that it's possible they added zucchini to the bbq sauce, something gave it an off flavor.

 Anyway I didn't feel up to complaining, I still tipped the waitress like a goof, smiled, thanked her and left to continue my post Christmas shopping. Maybe I wimped out, I prefer to think of it as me not being a grumpy old guy in the making after all. Oh and as for my dinner companion the fly, he did an almost perfect 9.9 dive into my tea cup!

24 comments:

Deedles said...

Oh quit complaining, after all, you had a free show with your meal! A tea diving fly is great entertainment and a good distraction from nasty food. See? I'm working at being positive. It hurts like hell!
Love you, sweetie. Thanks for making this oldish ladyish laugh.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Senior Kindergarten, lol! Time for your nap!

Bob said...

I'm with Deedles …. dinner and a show!

And Senior Kindergarten is fun …. especially the naps!

Old Lurker said...

You did get 2/3 of a good meal. Next time order the mashed potatoes and coleslaw and skip the chicken.

I completely agree with you about the evils of post-Christmas discounts and the treachery of senior kindergarten. Enjoy your naps now, buddy, because soon there won't be naps or blocks or playing in the sand. Soon you'll be lucky if you get storytime. Betrayal!

anne marie in philly said...

as a now-certified senior (age 65), I can tells ya GIT OFFA MAH LAWN! we have earned the right to complain and demand what we deserve! I AM WARRIOR QUEEN, HEAR ME ROAR!

Michael McEwen said...

I like the words junior senior. I think I am there myself. I try and not be that grumpy old man. I don't think you are in the least! Tipping the waitress was the right thing to do, as she makes her living off of those tips!

Anitia Moorecock said...

shouldn't you be in bed at this hour?

Dave R said...

When I think of senior citizens, I think of a group of people who are in their late 70's or early 80's.

As for your tip - remember, that is how your grade your service. The idea you should pay a certain % is hogwash. Give your server what they deserve, not what they expect.

Ur-spo said...

Oh the horror of a spoiled tea cup !

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, I'm still wondering how they got the little Speedos on that fly!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Debra, yes nap time and definitely none of those cookies at snack time!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bob, that's because you have Carlos to nap with!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lurkey, but it's supposed to be a bbq chicken dinner, not potatoes and coleslaw, the chicken is supposed to be the main dish.
I see what's in store for me and that's why I'm not happy.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, stop yelling at me, I'm not deaf yet! Hahaha! Don't roar too hard, you'll put your back out!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Michael, you will get older but you will never be grumpy, you will always be a lovable man.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Moorecock!!! Why you bold little whipper-snapper, I ought to put you over my knee and spank you! Only thing stopping me is you probably would want that. Now turn down your blasted music!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dave, that sounds like a good age to define senior, we will revisit that notion if I'm still here in 20 years.
Maybe I should have given the waitress the fly back as the tip!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Dr Spo, definitely not good to the last drop!

HuntleyBiGuy said...

I think the idea of senior’s keep moving. As Dave said seniors are in their late 70’s and 80’s. And as I get closer to that age my idea of seniors will then be in their late 80’s and 90’s. In other words, I’ll never be a senior. Unless there’s a discount involved.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

HuntleyBiGuy, I remember when I thought 30 was old, 35 meant on your way to the old folks home!

Deedles said...

Speedos, *snort*! Steven, I'm sure that an enterprising fly like that one would be perfectly capable of putting on his own snugglebuns (as I like to call them). I did choke on my morning coffee though. I also pictured Jeff Goldblum as the Fly in a pair, before the hairs started sprouting out of course.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

:D and that's the buzz around here!

RJ said...

Sometimes you just want to cut an run which seems like what you did.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Richard, yeah I didn't feel like being a complainer. If it happens a second time I will say something... and I'm hiring an agent for the fly, start my very own flea circus.