Saturday, June 15, 2019

Rainy day excuse.


 It's Saturday and it's raining.. and cold, this allows for the excuse of staying indoors most of the day. This way I don't feel guilty doing my house chores, as I said before, sunny days demand outdoor activities. Apparently this is supposed to be how our summer is going to turn out. Unfortunately our weather is so far behind, it's the middle of June but looks and feels like the middle of May. A week or two ago one friend text me saying he expects to see snow, then we heard that some places a little north of us received snow, yuck. The mosquitoes are wearing little tiny snowsuits. Anyhoo it's pride month so back to the "mo" stuff.

 On a serious note I heard something positive regarding the gay community. There has always been the stat that gay men have a shorter lifespan than straight men. Even more shocking is this did not include the deaths from HIV. I found that alarming, I wondered if we were wired differently and caused us to die sooner. I also wondered if it was all the extra stress we live under that straight guys don't have to deal with.

 The positive news is that our lifespan is rapidly rising, fast approaching that of an average straight man. The reason for this they feel is because.... anyone? Can you guess anyone, anyone? Well if you guessed gay marriage, you would be correct. Makes sense when you consider that the "bean counters" have been saying for years that married straight guys live longer than single straight guys. Who would think that a person in a loving relationship having two people looking out for each other would be healthier, so suck it religious right-wrong! They also said that gay people living in areas where society accepted them, also had a longer lifespan. That says something about the people trying to push us back into the closet. I also think it's healthier for straight people to be happy for us, than be stressed out if we're wearing rainbow colour underwear.

 Another interesting thing I heard was on a conservative radio station. Of course in Canada, conservative is generally about keeping government spending under control and not about standing in a field waiting for instructions from some god.  They had on some doctors regarding transgender children, the host asked many questions about allowing the child to follow through with their wishes. Basically the doctors said that the person will eventually transitioning and the parents can either be supportive or lose their child from their life. They said however that a trans child that has their parents support generally goes on to lead a productive life, they are more likely to finish school, go on to university, start a career, have healthy relationships etc.

 The flip side is children rejected by family become homeless, live on the streets, turn to the sex trade for their living, often become addicted to drugs, have a high rate of suicide, get mutilated by trying to alter their appearance, get assaulted and even murdered. I liked the factual answers, the results are clear, the doctors didn't seem to have any agenda left or right. I was pretty much ignorant about this topic to be honest but now I think society's choice is crystal clear regarding what to do, be supportive or have blood on your hands.

16 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

and yet so many gay kids/adults are kicked to the curb just for being themselves. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! NOW!

Bob said...

We have a very dear friend who is gay [go figure] and he is rapidly approaching 100 years of age. I like that goal.

As for gay kids becoming homeless after coming out, any parent who disowns a child because that child is LGBTQ is NO parent.

Mistress Maddie said...

Honey, with the gin I drink I probably live to be over 100. I always get asked your never sick, and haven't been in years, even a cold. At work this year they commented not even a sniffle. No high blood pressure, or cholesterol, but I'm sure that's eating right. It the gin and wine I tell ya. Unless it's the sex?

Deedles said...

The sun is out here and I'm solar powered so I refuse to be serious today! I am better equipped to do housework when the sun is shining. I hibernate in gloomy weather. Picturing the mosquitoes in their little snow suits makes me smile, no, grin like an idiot! I can't wait for the swim suit issue of Bloodsuckers Illustrated. Mosquitoes in Speedos. I'll leave now, before I get ridiculous :)

JP said...

You should be studied closely under laboratory conditions....
JP

Old Lurker said...

If this stat about marriage is true then it is very sad. Gays have been living in relationships with each other long before marriage, but I guess that did not count? It's almost as if the Christians telling us marriage is a very special institution were all correct.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Anne Marie, I know that is so sad and stupid actually. A loving relationship is the best no matter what gender or sexuality your kid is.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Bob, I agree and it's 2019 for Pete's sake, google transgender if they don't understand what it is.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Maddie, are you saying that you've been pickled? :D

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JP, don't encourage the Mistress, just don't! ;)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Deedles, "before I get ridiculous"??? Lol, tooooo late! :)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lurky poo, yes there were hidden gay couples in the bad old days but no where near the numbers of today. There is also a difference between the old days of "just roommates" to now, a fully accepted married couple. Marriage is a special institution, it's just not an exclusive club like those wing nuts want you to believe.

Cali-Boi said...

I agree with the Lurker. That bit sounds like a load of crap. Gay people have been living happily together for years, way before they needed a piece of paper to tell them that they love each other. One couple I know have been together for 30 years, and won't ever get married. they always say " Marriage is a great institution. But who wants to be in an institution?"

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Cali Boi, maybe in the large cities there were couples but trust me, you didn't see the numbers that you see now. It's not about the piece of paper, it's that gay couples in western countries now have the choice to live openly as a couple. Didn't you just blog about turning 30, then you would have no concept of what it used to be like. When I was a teenager, if someone was discovered as gay, especially around here, it was game over, you were looked at the same as a rapist or some other sex freak. Now it's a cool thing amongst straight people to go to a gay wedding. Plus you are a bratty playboy type so marriage would seem scary to you! :D Hahaha!

Cali-Boi said...

Bratty? Bratty? Who are you calling bratty? I'll take you over me knee one handed and give you a spankin wink. Hey, and I may settle one day. Who knows.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Cali Boi, spank me all you want!