Saturday, June 23, 2018

Lonely wittle chicken. :(


 I let a number of my hens hatch chicks this year and for the most part, it has gone smoothly. The other day I noticed some little faces peeking out from under mom, usually they like to sleep for a day or so, I just leave them alone until everyone has hatched. If you look closely, you can see one little guy coming out just below mom's beak.

 By the next afternoon I checked and all the eggs seemed to have hatched plus everyone was hungry and thirsty. As I was moving the little family to a pen where they could eat and drink, I noticed one egg didn't hatch, that's common but when I picked it up, I realized it was hatching. It was important to get the others to eat and drink as soon as possible so the only thing I could do was put it in my incubator and I would slip him back in during the night. About thirty minutes after I put the egg in, POP... out came a little chicken. I felt sorry for it, too little and wet to go with the rest, I would have to wait until later that night.


Poor little guy, alone, scared and looking for mom, it really cried all day, then I suddenly felt really sick to my stomach because here I was feeling empathy for a chick and its distress, while I couldn't imagine the distress of the toddlers I had watched crying the night before on the news. Watching their parents being dragged off by people in uniforms, left there to wander and sob throughout the yards. The feeling of abandonment must have been overwhelming for those little minds, I can't believe the United States has become this. Those children will grow up with an ingrained distrust of authority.

 In fairness Fox News did say they were only Mexican children and not real children so it's not as bad as you think. Plus the prison camps that are warehousing the babies are actually like summer camps, if the kids would only stop crying long enough to enjoy the gift that the Overlord has given them.

 I remember once when I was six, I had to be hospitalized, being taken away from mom and dad was traumatic and yet at least they could visit me and I knew the doctors and nurses were trying to help me. I wonder about the damage that has been done.

 As evening fell and it started to get dark, I took my sad little chicken out to the barn where it could be reunited with mom, she snuggled him up and all was well. However I couldn't help thinking about the little kids lying in bed wondering where their mom is.



14 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

I love the little chick. Now if you slip it back in, will the mother know it or sense it? She has a beautiful color.

Yes, I have never ever, been more discouraged, outraged and embarrassed to say I live in the United States. How far it has fallen from what past presidents have done. The country is the darkest it's ever been. The worst traits are being brought out and encouraged. And I'm more embarrassed and upset that citizens here actually thought a egoistical, bigoted pig, who was a hot headed "reality star" would make a president and voted him in. And if he gets in again...which I deeply fear will happen...God help us all. The US will be done.

Hopefully if karma comes again she will be a relentless, cold bitch.

Can you tell a hate that mother fucker. Sorry for the words. But he and his family is a gross excuse for a human being.

Deedles said...

I think the immensity of the situation with the caged children throws one into shock. It's so frickin' hard to believe the deplorableness of it all. The baby chick is a hands on kind of thing so it is easier to comprehend and feel for the little thing. It may be a coping mechanism. When I see commercials about starving children I don't feel a thing, but show me one with mistreated animals and Sara Mc whatever her name is, singing in the background and I'm a sobbing mess! Coping Mechanism!

Mistress Maddie said...

Deedles- Between this post and other lately today, it's going to be like the Golden Girls...we're going to need group hugs today.

Deedles said...

Maddie, you know what? I'm going to put on Ella Fitzgerald "Live from Berlin" and watch little Cujo race back and forth with an empty toilet paper roll in his mouth. We don't have carpets and it's hilarious watching him face plant on the slippery hard wood. I get my happy where I can. BTW "face plant on the slippery hard wood" is not a euphemism!

I sent Steven some big grandma hugs awhile ago. If he has any left, I'm sure he'll share. He has a big heart.

Steven, if you've run out of hugs, I'll send you more. Try to make the most of your weekend, sweetheart.

Christina said...

Oh dear me! I started reading, thinking how wonderful! And then the awful events of the past weeks.
I bought 4 hens 7years ago and I still have one left. She wanders all around the garden, wherever she likes and does a great job of slug control.we even get eggs occasionally too. She is a happy soul.
Your hen looks happy and content.
We get far more back from animals than we give, don't we?

I don't know how people can be so inhumane to their fellow man, it's beyond belief. I'm sure the little children and their parents will be scarred for life.
I often get upset about world events and wonder how things will ever get better.

Hope the little chicks all make it. Lucky little birds having a nice place to live. X

Anonymous said...

I'm sick about what's doing in our country these days. I don't recognize the country I live in. Your post is a perfect analogy to this week's news...it left me heartbroken.

John Going Gently said...

Trump - and his policy in this area has been highlighted as disgusting and inhuman

TO THE WORLD

anne marie in philly said...

concentration camps in murikkka (smh) :(

Mike said...

I'm numb. I was so ashamed of this country I left in 1990. I eventually returned, now I wish I hadn't. I move in liberal, enlightened circles. Everyone says the Democrats will clean up in November, that Trump will get his comeuppance in 2020. <<<<<< This is wishful thinking. My country is still virulently racist at its core. Many many people think what's going on is perfectly justified and well-planned for our future. These people (Trump, the GOP) do not want to lose. Consider their options: fix the election (not that they haven't done this before) or create/take advantage of a situation (war, terrorist attack, etc.) August is the most likely time for the latter scenario, I'm very worried.

Michael said...

Steven,
Your post was beautifully written and a perfect example of what is happening in the USA. I am worried about the future of my nation. I will do my best to help anti-Trump candidates win in the next election, but if they don't win, I will be heartbroken more than I already am.

Thanks for your words.

Ur-spo said...

This is a sweet and tender post; you are a compassionate man.

rjjs8878 said...

I concur with the other posters. I hope the outrage people in this country currently feel will cause a huge turn out in voters. Change is coming.

This was a beautiful post.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I can't really add more to these comments, they stand on there own. You people are the best.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I will do a lighter post on the chick this week because there was a lot of chicken drama this week, my friends call me the chicken whisperer lol.