Saturday, March 31, 2018

I See Your Kindness.

 Many people complain about the younger generations, in fact I think that is an older generation thing. I remember reading a quote a man wrote about the younger generation and how he thought they were going to ruin society, the quote was recorded during the Roman era. Some things never change I guess, according to him the younger generation was the worst ever and yet here we are. I make jokes about younger people but I've earned that spot, I actually am amazed at how quick they learn and how eager they are to try things, I guess we were like that once. I feel there are a lot of good young people, just they never make the news. Any faults they have are because the older generations raised that into them, so really we can't complain as a whole.

 Tuesday I was getting groceries and while standing in line I noticed an elderly woman in front of me. She was quite elderly and was having trouble with everything, she seemed a little grumpy too. The thing that impressed me was the young girl on cash, she was cheerful and super helpful and not in a phony way. She really took over caring for the woman, filling her backpack, coming around and helping the woman put it on, buckling it up for her, making sure it wasn't too heavy, making sure she could zip up her coat. Above and beyond what most people would do and the whole time with a pleasant disposition, plus an efficiency to it. The woman even seemed surprised, she said "thank you dear" and went on her way.

  Next it was my turn and she began ringing up my items. Watching her I couldn't help feeling impressed by the way she handled the elderly woman. It takes a village to raise a child came into my mind and I thought about how quick people are to criticize younger people but say nothing when they do something right. I thought now it's my turn, maybe I can place a moment of kindness into her life. As she was processing the bill, I told her how I appreciated the kindness she showed towards the elderly woman. She was a bit surprised and thanked me, she said the woman made her think of her grandmother and hoped people would treat her grandmother with kindness as well. As I left I hoped that I would have given her at least a pleasant memory for the day or better yet, encouragement to continue being such a kind person. Maybe she went home and blogged or should I say vlogged about what I said, proving to her younger followers that not all adults are grumpy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a good deed too.

Old Lurker said...

I co-sign the above comment. You have reinforced good behaviour on the part of that cashier.

Mike said...

If you need a third co-signer, I'm here too!

It's amazing what a difference a few kind words can make. Bob loves to talk with one of the checkout clerks at the grocery store. Yesterday he made a beeline for her lane. He complimented her new hairdo and joked 'your hair is different every time I see you!' She said she's ingotnito but 'you recognized me anyway.' Then we talked about Easter plans. As we were leaving she said to Bob 'it's always good seeing you, you make me smile.' I left the store in tears.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JR, indeed I did a good deed, now say that five times fast! Lol. I try to leave something positive behind, I always speak to anyone serving me, I try to let them know I see a person, not an employee.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mr Lurker, I used to try and pet them as a reward for good behaviour but you can't imagine the trouble that gets you into! ;)

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mike, as I said to RJ, I always try to speak to anyone serving me, I find they usually light up right away, I guess they feel "looked through" or ignored all day.

Mike you are a softie, that's so hot in a man! :)

Mike said...

When we lived in Italy I learned to respect shop workers, greet on entering and thank on leaving. At the time (still?) most stores were small, family operations. You were expected to treat the shop as their private homes. In turn they treated us with respect and would go out of their way to help. Most assumed we were English or German, not American.

Old Lurker said...

Food rewards might work. Alfalfa pellets? Bits of carrot?

Ur-spo said...

Life needs charity.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Last time I was at the supermarket, the girl on the express lane said she'd ring my groceries. I said no, thank you. I told her I was three items over the express lane limit. She said it didn't matter. It matters to me, I said. I'm one of those cranky old men who Tsks, and Hmms when someone in front of me has 11 or more items in the express lane. She laughed.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Walter, our express lanes are twelve items or less. If they ask me to go in, I take the spot. I thought you would be more zen about things like that, you need to contemplate more during meditation. ;)

Anonymous said...

12 items!
Now there's one more thing to love about Canada. I'm moving north.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Walter, I guess we are more open minded about groceries, lol.