Monday, November 12, 2018

Ahh! It's here! It's EVERYWHERE!


 Oh no, I was doing a little shopping this evening and I suddenly realized what was happening, it was all around me, the horror, THE HORROR! Yes since it's the twelfth, the stores started playing Christmas music. This will happen every single time I go to buy something for the next six plus weeks.

 Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with Christmas music, I'm not religious but it's part of my heritage and it brings back a lot of happy memories. My problem is that it's just too early, that's so wrong, we shouldn't be hearing Christmas music when many of us haven't finished raking up the fall leaves. Also the stores don't give a rat's behind about Christmas, peace on earth or good will towards your fellow man. They are only interested in sales, I know that's how they make a living but they don't have to behave like they are Christmas's pimp.

 I get up in the dark, I go to work in the dark, I come home in the dark, it's making my mood dark. Today I tried getting up extra early in the hopes that I could make it back home while the sun was still up, I wasn't able to. I am going to put the lights up outside soon, our ancestors were smart, many cultures have a festival of lights around this time of year, clearly it was an early way of warding off depression caused from lack of sunshine. My Sikh and Hindu friends are celebrating Diwali, they invited me to go but I was too shy, maybe next time. I think it's no coincidence that Christmas involves candles, colourful lights and stars, I had stopped putting up lights and decorations years ago but one year I felt overwhelmed by the darkness and also loneliness, I decided to cheer myself up and a little sparkle did wonders. I was thinking of having a little tree lighting ceremony at the farm, just an excuse for people to get together, have a hot chocolate, some snacks and talk.

 However I'm still not happy about already hearing jingle bells while I'm try to buy socks and underwear.


16 comments:

Bob said...

I heard Christmas music in a store on Halloween.
I swore it was a trick and not a treat!

the dogs' mother said...

Found you mentioned on Maddie's blog.
Today a store (here is SE WA state) announced a Christmas sale that
will end on November 20th...
(hello from Canadian born and educated - a looong
time ago :-)

Harry Hamid said...

Yeah, the darkness thing is taking some getting used to.

I can turn off the Christmas stuff in my head for a couple more weeks. I was in choir in high school and we sang all those songs and I don't think about it much.

But the darkness...

Mistress Maddie said...

You wear underwear?

At our high end retailer where I do visual, we have installed Christmas in secondary locations, but our main trim will not be up for another week, right before Black Friday. And we never play a lot of the music, but it is intermixed with lots of dance and lounge music. We never play it continuously

While Christmas is very pretty it's not my favorite holiday.... but Id be more then happy to come fluff your jingle bells for you.

anne marie in philly said...

save money, go commando! I do!

round here, stores put out halloween shit the first week of august. by november 5 the xmess shit was out. some commercial radio stations are full tilt boogie with xmess music; I avoid them like the plague. I really despise october-march.

Peter said...

I agree. I basically like Christmas music but am usually sick of it by the first of December.
Cheers

Old Lurker said...

Some of us have underwear that jingles regardless of what music we listen to.

Yes, the darkness is difficult. I think it is time for you to book your winter vacation in Miami.

Speaking of which, Mistress Maddie has a message for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK0z1S8SwZc

Mike said...

Christmas music doesn't brother me anymore, not that I go out of my way to hear it. There's an idiot in the next neighborhood that chose to spend his retirement years driving a restored ice cream truck that plays Christmas carols, all fucking summer! It took sixty some years, by now the holidays now have no meaning for me. Not even the light-in-the-dark thing -- I light candles every day I am home -- and I seek peace on earth every day because earth is all we have and all we will ever have and it may as well be peaceful.

Deedles said...

For those of us who don't celebrate the holidays it can be doubly annoying! I do my best to stay away from malls until January, except for the occasional raid of the seasonally opened See's Candy store. I'm only human!

anne marie in philly said...

@deedles - oooooooooooooooooooooh, see's candies! YUM YUM!

Deedles said...

@Anne Marie-I know!!! See's Candy, eggnog and chocolate covered cherries with clear liquid filling! It can be deadly being an uncontrolled diabetic this time of year! So far I've survived :)

Richard said...

I'm in the mood for Christmas yet.

Mistress Maddie said...

@ Old Lurker, oh great...now Im pressured to get my naughty Santa suit out of storage already.

Mistress Maddie said...

@Mike...a hammer with four nails to those tires sounds good about now.

I too light candles everyday...looks like a senesce around here.

Ur-spo said...

I absolutely despise Christmas music before American thanksgiving, and I don't care for cheesy cheap christmas trash carols.
Will H is supplying me a list of proper classical christmas tunes for me to hear this year - quality no rubbish.

Deedles said...

@Ur-spo, so no Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, huh?