Monday, May 1, 2017

Stopping to smell the flowers.

Take the time to smell the flowers. One of those sayings about taking a moment to appreciate life. Friday evening when I got home from work, as I stepped out of my car, I was washed over by a wave of fresh warm spring air, the birds were singing the last songs to the setting sun and the peeper frogs were in full force. I tossed everything into the house and was determined to take a walk before it became too dark. Across from my house there is a large pond and I went for a stroll around it. Winter finally let go of its firm grip here and it was like getting an energy boost. Sometimes that's what we need to do, leave everything behind and just get lost in the moment. Walking around that pond not only fills the senses with sights, sounds and smells, it also takes me back to when I was a kid, doing the same thing, taking a walk around with one or another of our past dogs, plopping stones into the water, trying to find the little frogs that were making so much noise, using sticks for boats, sitting quiet to watch the ducks swimming. A momentary get away, then and now, having made my way completely around to my point of beginning, I am almost tempted to keep going around. Take some time, stop to smell the roses.

8 comments:

Stephen said...

I so agree...somewhere along the way we have forgotten to take the time to smell the flowers. We live busy hectic lives and Lord knows I am guilty for not taking the time. After reading your post, I have made myself a promise. I will take the time to smell the flowers.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

So.... did you? Lol.

Anonymous said...

You find moments like those when you least expect it. I rubbed and sniffed a rosemary bush in Camden the other day!!
JP

John Going Gently said...

Didnt carol on the walking dead say that to lizzie before she shot her in te head?

Old Lurker said...

Why are you prohibited from finding peeper frogs now?

Sooo-this-is-me said...

JP, unexpected pleasant moments are some of the best moments!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

John, apparently its some type of gay sin but I have never seen that show, I have no clue who those characters are.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Old Lurker, because they are a lot faster than I remembered them to be.