Saturday, November 25, 2017

Chicken soup, let's make some!

What is good for making chicken soup? I want simple ideas, no searching for some rare spices that haven't been available since Elvis was alive, a hair from Bigfoot or the eye of newt. I have done this before, actually about a month ago I made some. I am using vegetables from my garden, carrots, onions, celery, green beans the usual. I am wondering about spices, I don't want anything that will overwhelm the chicken, because the chicken I am using is my own, so very fresh and a lot of flavour, that's why it's important not to overwhelm the chicken. To honor the boys, it has to be beyond just chicken soup, it has to be "the chicken soup" of all chicken soup, delicious but not complicated. Last batch of soup, I just made up a recipe in my head, some of this, a little of that and it was pretty good but there was just some little thing missing. What can I use to enhance the flavour or work with it, any ideas? There is nothing better this time of year, than coming in from a cold day outside and having homemade soup and a sandwich. I'm so hungry!

8 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Welsh chicken soup
Chicken stock
300 g chicken
I onion
Garlic
lots of pepper
Salt
Pepper
Mushrooms,yougurt
Chilie

Sooo-this-is-me said...

That sounds like an interesting soup John, I like chilli but unfortunately chilli hates me! My neighbour has a secret spice combination that she grew in her garden, I may try but first I want to see if anyone else has some interesting suggestions.

Vivian said...

My favorite spice is salt. As long as you are using real chicken bones and simmering them in water with onion, all you'll need is salt. I don't even like rice in my chicken soup, but I'm a very picky eater.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Vivian I also don't like rice in my soup, or noodles, this will be just a chicken with some vegetables type of soup. I drop in the entire breast, ribs and all plus the entire legs/thigh area, bones and all because it adds to the flavour. I had to chuckle when you said real chicken bones, I had this image in my mind of plastic bones.

Vivian said...

Oh yeah, those fake chicken bones are like chewing on a mannequin.

I was actually thinking that you need the carcass of a complete bird, not just breast bones. I really have to start proof reading my comments.

Old Lurker said...

Thyme? Thyme goes well with everything. That or summer savory.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Vivian, I am just teasing, I understood what you meant. I use the entire breast area with wings attached, plus I use the entire thigh/legs area and that seems to do the trick. Thank you for your input.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Mr Lurker, I already made my soup, I boiled it a little too long and it became a delicious stew instead lol. I didn't grow savory this year but yes, it is great with chicken or turkey. Your input is appreciated as I will be attempting this again in a few weeks, so I will try your suggestion next thyme! I think that was a groaner!