Monday, April 10, 2017

Off To La La Land.

I haven't gone to a movie theater in years. I prefer to see something in the comfort of my own home and not have some jerk sit behind me smacking popcorn while commenting on every upcoming scene, spoiling the story line. This week a local center brought the film La La Land to its small theater. I had wanted to see this film and with it coming so close to me I decided to go. Plus I know that most of the people going will be an older crowd and a more artistic friendly crowd, no loud obnoxious teens. I know what everyone is thinking, who ever heard of a gay man going to a musical? Well, I guess that I'm busted, yes I like musicals. I know, I know that is so unlike a gay man to go, but I did. I went alone, nothing makes you feel more single than going to an event by yourself. Part of any event I have learned, is to share the memories of it afterwards with someone, good or bad. ............................................ I arrived in plenty of time, I was surprised to see that you could have a glass of wine with your movie, also on offer was organic popcorn or fair trade coffee, (no I'm not kidding). The consequence of this was that it drew in every ex hippy artsy type baby boomer from miles around. I was never surrounded by so many middle aged white people wearing fading berets and cool dude fashions that stopped being cool fashions years ago. It made me sad because that will be me in ten years. I was hoping to meet people, maybe even bump into some members of the gay herd, but everyone seemed to have a girlfriend with them. While standing in line, this lady spoke to the woman in front of me, then she gave me an odd look and said hello. Then she laughed and said, "sorry Helen I thought you got a new man in your life"! I was startle because Helen was at least ten years older than me and maybe more, I was a little insulted too, I could do much better than Helen! By now however you people should know what a smarty pants I like to be, so I gently put my arm around this complete stranger's shoulder and say "well actually.... looks like we're caught honey"! Her friends laughed, she was embarrassed. I find in situations like that, people don't want to meet new people, they just want to stick with their own. ............................................. I enjoyed the movie, it's true the singing and dancing scenes work into the movie and not like some films where you find yourself thinking "oh no, are they breaking into song again". Amazing to me that an almost old style romantic musical, played in today's theaters and was successful, awards and all. I wonder if it has something to do with musicals being still a big draw in other countries or maybe it's so different from today's films that its time has come again. Maybe it's just a novelty and if you made another one like this it would flop. All during the film I couldn't help thinking how much my Dad would have enjoyed this film. I could just hear him saying that it's just like the old time films he loved as a young man. .............................................. I was surprised by the ending, I didn't see that coming, very modern ending, no happy ever after like most of the old films, I found that a bit too real. Finally it ended, people clapped, I didn't, I find that strange, the people at the studio can't hear us. Although I was thinking after, the people at the centre might feel pleased that they picked this film if the audience reacted with such positive enthusiasm. If you like Singing in the rain type movies and were thinking about seeing this, I say go for it. ............................................ What is with people checking their text messages, especially the lady beside me, that blue glow when trying to watch a movie in the dark is like someone turned a flashlight on and is shining it in your face. Almost as bad as the guy who would stamp his feet to the music. Making it feel like someone is shaking your seat. The nice police officer completely understood why I strangled those two under cover of darkness and let me off with a warming.

7 comments:

John Going Gently said...

In my experience american cinema audiences are dreadfully rude
I love the cinema and often go in the afternoon when the audience is at a minimum

Stephen said...

Haven't seen this movie yet, but my name is Stephen and I also like musicals, at least the good ones. People with their constant obsession with the cell phones irritates me no matter where I'm at but especially in the movie. No one now-a-days seems to be able to live without them.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

John Gray, at least there was no talking, I think that would have put me over the edge. I have this feeling that the texts were probably something mundane and idiotic like "how's the movie going" or "I see you in the top row lol"! Growl...

Stephen, wow how ironic that there are two gay men who like musicals, what are the odds? Go see this film, depends on what you think is good, you are not going to find some deeper meaning to life but you will be entertained. I found Ryan's dancing a little flat, there I said it, what do I know, nobody reads this blog anyway.

Anonymous said...

I'm often away from home working so was looking for something to do last week in Glasgow. I saw something called Silver Screen at a local cinema so decided to go. I thought they might be showing old movies. It turned out to be for people with silver hair!! You had to be over 60 to get the discounted seat which included wine and canapés!! Who says getting old is all bad?
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lol, that's funny, silver hair discount. The truth is I actually really like older ex hippy types, I find they are usually really nice and down to earth. Strange however, even though many are well dressed and successful, why do so many of them have that burning leaves smell?

larrymuffin said...

I have yet to see that movie, heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Anonymous said...

The reason why musicals are not so popular in the USA is the monies involved with the milatary,guns and sports.For decent cabaret,you have to get a passport.