Friday, March 17, 2017

Yuck Of The Irish.

According to my ancestry I am supposed to be nearly pure of Irish heritage, with a little Scottish and English thrown in. My mother used to tell me I make a poor Irishman because I hated potatoes when I was a child. Another apparently bad move on my part was I hated beer, so not that popular during high school in a small town where drinking started at twelve for many people. This made my parents happy, they didn't drink either, my mother despised it actually. She would turn people away if they came for a visit while under the influence. .................................... Finally as I got older, beer and I worked out our differences. I'm still not a huge fan but there are some I enjoy. Last year at work they decided to have a St. Patrick's day party with different types of beer, wine and pub style foods. Someone asked me if I liked Guinness, I told them that I didn't know, I never tried it. I started to get the comments about being Irish and how is it possible that I have never tried Guinness. Thinking this was the perfect time to try I asked for a glass and started to drink it. STOP THE TRAIN, screeeeeeeech!!!!! Eeeeeeeyuck! One of my Asian friends asked what was it like, I told her it was as if they took all the bitterness out of a twenty four case of beer and put it in one bottle! I think the dark colouring comes from the roofing tar that they added in. One guy said to keep drinking it, that it would start to get better, nope I think it's more like drinking poison, the more you drink, the worse you feel. Seriously who came up with this stuff, I think if I was making beer all those years ago and my results were this, I would think something went "off" and I would be warning people to stay away from it. Any way later that week I received my Irish heritage letter of warning, stating that I was lucky that I now enjoy potatoes, otherwise I would have been out.

9 comments:

Stepehn said...

Too funny, I'm with you on the Guinness. I guess I will stick to the American brewed varieties. Your Irish too? An Irish Prayer just for you: "May God give you...For every storm, a rainbow, For every tear, a smile, For every care, a promise, And a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, A faithful friend to share, For every sigh, a sweet song, And an answer for each prayer." Added by the Irish side of Stephen, happiness in times of sadness, found love and warm hugs always....

Willym said...

I'm with you on the Guinness and I've even got an Irish passport - though if they read this I may not have afterwards however I've never met a potato that I didn't like. Laurent however rather enjoys the stuff and we have it in the house - which is great because I'm going to try a corned beef recipe I have that uses it.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Stephen, I really like that prayer, I never heard that one before, plus nice personal touch as well thank you. Yes for me Guinness is one of those things you try in life.... but never again!

Will, don't worry, now I love potatoes, I grow my own. Baked in the oven or mashed yum! The last three years I have been growing purple ones and I really like those but the yields are not good. You moved to the land of potatoes so you will be forgiven, you can keep your passport. As for Laurent, we can forgive his tastes as well, after all he picked you so impeccable taste for sure!

Ur-spo said...

I have no Irish in me (worse luck!) but I like Guiness and potatoes and red-headed men.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I would imagine people who drink beer for the taste probably like Guinness, it's never going to be my thing. Speaking of drinks, I was thinking the other day about the Caesars we ordered that time you were in Ottawa. Remember they put a strip of bacon in it! Who does that? Lol

Anonymous said...

I'm with Laurent! Love it. When I went to Dublin I even went to the factory! But - it has to be ice cold. Not fashionable in Ireland I think... Staring at a baked potato as I write this.
JP

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Lol, JP when you say you went to the factory it sounds like you are trying to say that they hooked you up to one of the giant vats or something! You can have my Guinness. I bet that baked potato has something good inside, now I want a baked potato to.

larrymuffin said...

Maybe you are more Scottish than Irish have you tried drinking scotch? Guinness is wonderful with oysters on the half-shell.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Laurent, I do prefer liquor to beer, I do love bagpipes and getting a good deal on something so maybe my Scottish blood influences me more than I think. Some days I think I know everything so that must be my English blood, although they say most English people are actually of German blood so that gets confusing.