Friday, November 28, 2008

Not Coming Up Roses

Tonight I'm not really in the mood to post anything serious so lets talk about the tube. Since I'm a little bit gay myself, I like to see any other decent gay person make it in the world. It is getting better for people whether in business, government, acting, singing etc but there still can be road blocks. The other night Dave and I sat down to watch the new 'Rosie O Donald Live' show, in spite of her few melt downs and being some what of a loud mouth, I still like Rosie. Did any of you see the show? I was hoping for a hit, I wanted this to be a come-back for her, however we sat there in silence. I thought it was terrible, Dave thought it was terrible, the lines were read like a high school play, she had a lot of not so famous actors show up and say a few lines, the jokes were awful and it made me think of a show that was produced back in the fifties. I know she said she wanted to do a variety hour like the old Carol Burnett show, but it should of had an up dated feel to it. We can forgive the shows from back then as it was all new to entertainment however there is no excuse now. I think you will see this flop fast unless they get better writers and quick! I hear it is very hard to get into the business, so I would think that whoever put this show together, should have enough experience to step back and say "hold it everyone, this just is not working" people have so many choices these days that they will click away and it is very unlikely that they will come back. I'm not trying to rain on her show, but as "family" I want to see her do well so I hope something changes fast. We taped the show and I am sorry to say mostly hit the fast-forward button.

6 comments:

Doug said...

That's too bad. I like Rosie, too. Maybe the second episode will be better?

Wayne said...

I didn't see it, and I'm not a big Rosie fan. However, I do like Ellen!

r. said...

Y'know I've never liked her too much, and she does come across as a 'loud mouth'. Then again, I don't really like too many actors either. heh. Hope all the best for her though. It's tough having a new show I reckon, seems like everything's been done already.

Enjoy your weekend Steven!! xo, r

john said...

Oh...I was hoping for a new hit show, something different and innovative.
I know in the past she was a huge success with her shows. I was thinking this would be her comeback too! The commercials looked good.

Will said...

The variety format has been dead for a couple of decades, actually. Burnett and Steve Allen had the most intelligent and literate ones; Sonny and Cher a funny, stylish one with of course Cher--what can one say?; the Smothers Brothers had a creative and subversive one.

People don't understand parody, irony or satire now. And variety requires the host and/or hostess to have talents in many fields to pull it off. I don't see anyone doing variety successfully again anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't holding up hope for Rosie and didn't watch it. I'm glad you were able to reaffirm my choice.